Sign in with
Your question

Memory upgrade makes my system slower

Last response: in Motherboards
July 17, 2012 11:29:59 AM

Hi Everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me? I have an Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA motherboard with an AMD Ahlon 64 X2 4600+ CPU running windows 7 64 bit. I previously had 2GB of RAM as two matching 1GB units. Today I tried to expand this by adding in two more identical units so that I had 4GB of matching units, 1GB in in each of the four slots. The system works, shows all 4GB of memory, and the memory tested OK. The trouble is the systems seems slower, most especially IE which takes longer to switch between tabs and each time it gets a pixelated screen for a few seconds.

Any ideas why the system is slow and what I can do to improve the situation? It was so annoying I've just taken out then new memory but seems a shame not to have the extra memory available as it will be useful on occasion.
July 17, 2012 11:36:33 PM

Its not a RAM problem. Maybe its the hard drive write/read rates. Clean and defrag your computer. If it doesnt work tell me.

Good Luck!
July 19, 2012 5:36:45 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I did a defrag but it was showing 0% fragmentation and didn't make a difference. The computer was already pretty clean. The HDD is a 7200rpm western digital 1TB unit and is less than 80% used. Any other ideas?
Related resources
July 20, 2012 12:27:12 AM

A virus or malware. Anylize your computer with a rescue cd. Avira or BitDefender Rescue CD
July 24, 2012 1:18:15 PM

I hav checked and there is no virus or malware. It is just slow! Any other ideas?
July 24, 2012 1:21:46 PM

I have done more playing and have found that one part of the motherboard isn't working. It is called "PCI simple communications controller" I can't find a driver online or onthe ASock website. Could this be the problem? If so, how do I fx it?
July 25, 2012 7:09:05 AM

Motherboard model?
!