Calling all P5N-E SLI / Nvidia 650i chipset users - GPU compatabilit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

After reading a lot about newer graphics cards not being compatible with this motherboard, particularly ATI 5xxx series, I would like to get some more recent opinions. I would love to just stick a 6850 into my computer and be done with it without having to change to new motherboard/cpu/ram when what I have currently does the job ok. I can confirm that I have installed a 5570 into my dads computer with no issues apart from the long boot up time which was fixed with a BIOS update.

Can I please get anyone who has this motherboard to list any recent video cards (ati 5xxx or nvidia 4xx or newer) that they have used in this particular board and weather they worked 100% or did not. Thanks. If someone can confirm that a 6850 works, then that would be great - edit - just found this post confirming one account of 6850 working in this motherboard http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303603-33-6850-650i

Solution
Ok here ya go this is what i did and it now works .WITH BIOS UPDATE 1406

Do this in normal windows and with your only Nvidia graphics card in or ATI
1 .uninstall all your current graphics drivers you have on your pc at the moment in normal windows Boot in device manager and add and remove programs {DOWNLOAD THE ATI DRIVERS 8.762.0.0 CAT 10.8 }

2 then run driver sweeper ver 2.1.0 (dont not update the program) and remove any nvidia drivers and the PHYSX drivers do not reboot yet

3 go into windows regedit , and remove any traces of nvidia entries EXCEPT the Raid driver entries do not
Delete any lines in the system for nvidia only in the softwear hotkey entries

4 now reboot in...

ChickenFootZulu

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I have been trying to get a Club 3d Radeon HD6790 1gb Coolstream to work but looks like this one is incompatible as no signal is produced to monitor after upgrading to latest Bios/chipset etc.

keithyboyfrance

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
yerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr EUREKA it works i have cracked it lmao i will be posting a work around for the

P5N-E-SLI and the 5850 it might even work for all the ati series with this motherboard :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: iam am testing right now but all seams fine so far to watch for a solved new post very soon.. :bounce: :bounce: :D

Just search for a 2.0 spec card and save your self the headache. If mouse's gtx 560 ti worked without issue in his 680i then it Should work on your board with the same result as the 650 and 680 as well the 780i use the same NB with the SB being the only major difference besides a pci-e 2.0 switch on the 780i. Nvidia rarely made major changes in their chipsets and tend to carry them generation after generation. The SB on the 650i boards is the same in the Nforce4 boards that was continued onto the 750i and may have been used on some and boards without hardly any changes.

2.0 spec cards Will Work on your board but avoid 2.1 spec cards due to known complaints and issues.

keithyboyfrance

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Ok here ya go this is what i did and it now works .WITH BIOS UPDATE 1406

Do this in normal windows and with your only Nvidia graphics card in or ATI
1 .uninstall all your current graphics drivers you have on your pc at the moment in normal windows Boot in device manager and add and remove programs {DOWNLOAD THE ATI DRIVERS 8.762.0.0 CAT 10.8 }

2 then run driver sweeper ver 2.1.0 (dont not update the program) and remove any nvidia drivers and the PHYSX drivers do not reboot yet

3 go into windows regedit , and remove any traces of nvidia entries EXCEPT the Raid driver entries do not
Delete any lines in the system for nvidia only in the softwear hotkey entries

4 now reboot in to Bios

make sure in ya bios you have pci express as your first graphics device make sure system fans are set to auto in Bios Save and exit

5 Boot back into safe mode and then run driver sweeper ver 2.1.0 (dont not update the program) and run a check you have no left over nvidia directorys in your registry hotkey softwear

6 Reboot back into safe mode and check it is compleaty clean and shut down

& NOW THE BIG TRICK SHUT DOWN AND REMOVE YOUR POWER LEAD AND GRAPHICS CARD LEAD AND YOUR OLD GRAPHICS CARD AND PUSH YA POWER ON TO DECHARGE ANY VOLTAGE YA HAVE LEFT ON THE BOARD

REMOVE YOU OLD GRAPHICS CARD AND TAKE OUT THE SLI SINGLE OR DUAL GRAPHICS CARD SELECTOR
& INSTALL YOUR NEW ATI GRAPHICS CARD CONECT BOTH POWER LEADS AND THEN THE MAIN POWER LEAD AND YA MONITOR LEAD { I USED THE DVI OUTPUT }

TAKE CARE THAT THE CARD IS SITTING PARALLEL AND SQUARE MINE WAS A BIT SHORT SO THE CASE SCREW WAS PULLING THE CARD OUT SLIGHTLY ,ONLY TIGHTEN SO IT HOLD IT THERE
(Its not going anywear and wont fall out }

now turn on ya PC and not ya monitor untill ya hear the windows welcome turne

7 turn on your monitor power if you dont see any display power off holding the case power for 4 seconds
then power it back on

8 this time you should see your display at last ,install the drivers 10.8 you downloaded earlier

and then shut down windows

remove the graphics card like you did the first time makeing sure you push the power on button to clear any stored power in the mobo Put the SLI SELECTOR card back in on single card

Refit you graphics card and x 2 pcie power leads making sure it is sitting right (EG the screw is not pulling the card out a bit }
connect your monitor lead and power lead

Power on you PC and hey presto ya have a ATI 5850 working in you pc with out any tricks ,eg pushing reset 10 times, clear cmoss, and all that crap

IT JUST WORKS AS IT SHOULD FIRST EVERY TIME

( I think that the sli dual or single card selector is the root of the all troubles with the P5N-E-SLI )

MINES RUNNING LIKE THE WIND NOW YIPPpY I HOPE THIS HELPS MANNY OTHER people

:bounce: :bounce: :D :D :bounce:

Solution
well thats one way of doing it. but if it works then yay. Maybe the slots arent aligned very well on these boards and it takes a few re-seating attempts. i'll just leave this post up here for a while to get as many responses as possible. and increase the compatability list.

keithyboy you are correct in your procedure to make the pc post! Thank you! I just did this for my powercolour 6850 after getting beeps with latest bios. The key was taking the sli selector out allowed it to boot. this drops the pcie speed back to 1x and must reset something in BIOS that was not allowing it to boot, maybe holding settings from my old 8800gts. once you boot through you can power off, put the selector back in and all is good running at full pcie speed. Hope that helps others in this situation, i can confirm this does work!

Status
Not open for further replies.