Sign in with
Your question

NEW llano HTPC build comments?

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2011 1:40:35 PM

Hi guys, I want to build a very small HTPC. Here are the specs I was thinking of and I wanted to know your expert opinions on it. The only thing I am unsure is if the power supply is powerful enough to sustain this machine.

1- Antec ISK-310 150W
2-CPU A8-3850 Llano
3- AsRock ITX mobo (still not out yet...you guys know when they will be released?)
4- 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz DDR3 (2x4GB)
5- HDD Scorpio black 2.5"500GB
6- Slim blu ray player

I think that's about it. Thanks for you opinions :) 

Cheers

More about : llano htpc build comments

July 24, 2011 2:30:25 PM

dont go with a psu which comes with a case, always buy a seperate one.
you can go with the antec earthwatts 380 w.
and hdd, go with a western digital caviar blue 500gb.
m
l
July 24, 2011 2:32:47 PM

You'd be alright with the 150W if you stick with the onboard video. According to this review at bit-tech, at full throttle load the A8-3850 total system draw comes to 92W at the wall.

BTW, check out my ISK build in my sig if you want some insight into what to expect in your build.

m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2011 2:33:58 PM

manu 11 said:
dont go with a psu which comes with a case, always buy a seperate one.
you can go with the antec earthwatts 380 w.
and hdd, go with a western digital caviar blue 500gb.
ITX cases don't have the luxury of power supply selection. The PSU is made by Antec. It is of sufficient quality.
m
l
July 24, 2011 10:15:26 PM

thanks for the help rwpritchett. :) 

Your build and explanation is pretty good.
I won't need a remote since I plan to interact with my HTPC using my smartphone and remote desktop :p 
Also, the onboard video is more than enough since i'll only be watching movies and browsing the web, maybe play old games through emulators :p 

I will hook it to my logitech Z5500 and hopefully get DTS audio out of it with mkv files I have. I gotta find a mobo that can handle all that. Asus and ASRock are known for good mobos. Just waiting for their FM1 ITX boards now.

thanks
m
l
!