DS question with GBA pak

Is there a way to have the GBA game load automatically when you turn on
the DS if there is a DS cart also loaded in the DS? Or does it default
to the DS game if both are present?

John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:

> Is there a way to have the GBA game load automatically when you turn
> on the DS if there is a DS cart also loaded in the DS? Or does it
> default to the DS game if both are present?

If you have the DS set to Auto Start and both a GBA Game Pak and a DS
Game Card are present, the DS game is the one that auto starts.

I just tried this with Polarium (DS) in Slot 1 and Castlevania: Harmony
of Dissonance (GBA) in Slot 2. When I switched on the DS, Polarium came
up, not Castlevania.

It thus seems that the only way to get an GBA game to Auto Start on the
DS is to leave Slot 1, the DS Game Card slot, empty.

HTH. HAND. :)

--
Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
To reply by e-mail, remove "nospam" and swap "cast" and "net"

Glenn Shaw wrote:
> John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:
>

>>Is there a way to have the GBA game load automatically when you turn
>>on the DS if there is a DS cart also loaded in the DS? Or does it
>>default to the DS game if both are present?
>

> If you have the DS set to Auto Start and both a GBA Game Pak and a DS
> Game Card are present, the DS game is the one that auto starts.
>
> I just tried this with Polarium (DS) in Slot 1 and Castlevania: Harmony
> of Dissonance (GBA) in Slot 2. When I switched on the DS, Polarium came
> up, not Castlevania.
>
> It thus seems that the only way to get an GBA game to Auto Start on the
> DS is to leave Slot 1, the DS Game Card slot, empty.
>
> HTH. HAND. :)

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I'm just not a big fan of leaving the
slot empty, because of dust and stuff. I don't know how unfounded that
fear is.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:50:16 -0400, John Salerno
<johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>Glenn Shaw wrote:
>> John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:
>>

>>>Is there a way to have the GBA game load automatically when you turn
>>>on the DS if there is a DS cart also loaded in the DS? Or does it
>>>default to the DS game if both are present?
>>

>> If you have the DS set to Auto Start and both a GBA Game Pak and a DS
>> Game Card are present, the DS game is the one that auto starts.
>>
>> I just tried this with Polarium (DS) in Slot 1 and Castlevania: Harmony
>> of Dissonance (GBA) in Slot 2. When I switched on the DS, Polarium came
>> up, not Castlevania.
>>
>> It thus seems that the only way to get an GBA game to Auto Start on the
>> DS is to leave Slot 1, the DS Game Card slot, empty.
>>
>> HTH. HAND. :)
>>

>Thanks, that's what I suspected. I'm just not a big fan of leaving the
>slot empty, because of dust and stuff. I don't know how unfounded that
>fear is.

If you are in auto load & want to start a GBA game with a DS game in
as well then press & hold B while turning on the DS this will then
start the GBA game for you.

Lyzzy

"Lyzzy" wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:

> If you are in auto load & want to start a GBA game with a DS game in
> as well then press & hold B while turning on the DS this will then
> start the GBA game for you.

Confirmed. An interesting undocumented feature. Thanks for the tip. :)

--

lyzzysspamtrap@yahoo.com wrote:

> If you are in auto load & want to start a GBA game with a DS game in
> as well then press & hold B while turning on the DS this will then
> start the GBA game for you.
>
> Lyzzy

Awesome, thanks!

Btw, do you know how to start at the main menu screen if you are in
autoload mode?

>>Thanks, that's what I suspected. I'm just not a big fan of leaving the
>>slot empty, because of dust and stuff. I don't know how unfounded that
>>fear is.

I have had gameboys since the very beginning and have never worried about
leaving the slot empty. And I have never had any problems with any of the
GB's
due to any significant dust accumulation in the slot.

However I never knew about holding the B button to auto start the GBA slot.

On Sun, 08 May 2005 12:40:01 -0400, John Salerno
<johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>lyzzysspamtrap@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> If you are in auto load & want to start a GBA game with a DS game in
>> as well then press & hold B while turning on the DS this will then
>> start the GBA game for you.
>>
>> Lyzzy
>
>Awesome, thanks!
>
>Btw, do you know how to start at the main menu screen if you are in
>autoload mode?

Take out both the DS & GBA cards it will then load the main menu for
you.

Lyzzy

lyzzysspamtrap@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sun, 08 May 2005 12:40:01 -0400, John Salerno
> <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>

>>lyzzysspamtrap@yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>>If you are in auto load & want to start a GBA game with a DS game in
>>>as well then press & hold B while turning on the DS this will then
>>>start the GBA game for you.
>>>
>>>Lyzzy
>>
>>Awesome, thanks!
>>
>>Btw, do you know how to start at the main menu screen if you are in
>>autoload mode?
>

> Take out both the DS & GBA cards it will then load the main menu for
> you.
>
> Lyzzy

Thanks. And I assume it's safe to reinsert a game pak even when the
system is on at the main menu?

> Btw, do you know how to start at the main menu screen if you are in
> autoload mode?

You hold the START button while pressing the POWER button and the
DS will go to the menu whether there is a DS or a GBA cart inserted.

Steven Wandy wrote:
>>Btw, do you know how to start at the main menu screen if you are in
>>autoload mode?
>

> You hold the START button while pressing the POWER button and the
> DS will go to the menu whether there is a DS or a GBA cart inserted.

Thanks, good to know these things. I don't remember if they're in the
manual.

John Salerno wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:

> Thanks. And I assume it's safe to reinsert a game pak even when the
> system is on at the main menu?

Somehow, I don't think so. Nintendo recommends that the DS be turned off
when inserting either a GBA Game Pak or a DS Game Card. And I don't think
that the DS would recognize either after it's been turned on (I
accidentally tried this with Polarium not too long after getting that
game).

--
Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
To reply by e-mail, remove "nospam" and swap "cast" and "net"

> Thanks, good to know these things. I don't remember if they're in the
> manual.

The one about the START button is. The one about the B button isnt.
(But who reads the manuals anyway????)

Steven Wandy wrote in alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance:

> John Salerno wrote...
>>
>> Thanks, good to know these things. I don't remember if they're in the
>> manual.
>
> The one about the START button is.

<snip>

Where, if I may ask? I've read the manual from front to back, and I
can't seem to find mention of that trick anywhere.

The trick with the B Button is indeed undocumented, though.

--

On Mon, 09 May 2005 14:27:37 GMT, "Steven Wandy" <Swandy@si.rr.com>
wrote:

>> Thanks, good to know these things. I don't remember if they're in the
>> manual.
>
>The one about the START button is. The one about the B button isnt.
>(But who reads the manuals anyway????)

Thanks for that. I didn't know about the Start button because I
didn't read the manual!

Lyzzy

> Where, if I may ask? I've read the manual from front to back, and I
> can't seem to find mention of that trick anywhere.

Funny thing, I spent about 15 minutes re-reading the manual and could not
find it anywhere. I would have SWORN that it was there. Guess I must have
read it in someone else's post. (Getting a little too old......)