Prebuilt <> homebuilt? and need some advice.

sean518

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hello All,

First off, I was planning on replacing my laptop, which works perfectly well for word and googling for school, with a more expensive laptop to get better performance out of it. I have come to my senses and realized I just should save myself some money, keep the laptop for school, and buy a desktop.

So my first question is: Does building your own system make the most sense? How much markup is placed on pre-built systems from boutique companies(cyberpower ect)? I don't really feel comfortable, or even want to bother putting it together myself.. but sometimes my wallet can be very persuasive.

Second: I read through some of the recommended builds and saw some tagged as "gamer" for sub 1200~ since that is my price range are those configurations the be all end all in terms of performance to dollar ratio?

and finally can anyone give me advice on what performance I can reasonable expect for roughly $1200, and suggest some prebuilt options that would work in that price range as a gaming only rig?

Thank you for your time.

sean518

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Mid August

Budget Range: $1200~ after all is said and done.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming performance will be the number one priority, followed by hooking it up to my tv for watching movies.

Parts Not Required: I have a monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: N/A

Country of Origin: United States, New York.

Parts Preferences: N/A

Overclocking: I would like the ability

SLI or Crossfire: I want the compatibility.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I have a laptop for school/work so I just want the best performance I can get for gaming. I want to be able to upgrade individual components as the system ages as well.