Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core2 Quad vs. i7

Last response: in CPUs
October 22, 2011 4:06:44 AM

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade my HP PC with a Q6700 @2.66Ghz to an HP with i7 2600. I'm not a gamer - use my computer mainly for business apps and browsing.

Will I see a noticeable diff in performance? Notable enough to justify $700? Or am I better off trying to upgrade components in the existing PC

Thanks for your help.

More about : core2 quad

October 22, 2011 4:36:44 AM

You Actually Don't Need An i7. There Won't Be A Noticeable Difference In Browsing Or Normal Apps. It Matters Only If You Are A Gamer, Or You Push Your CPU To 100%
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2011 4:38:13 AM

zohan said:
Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade my HP PC with a Q6700 @2.66Ghz to an HP with i7 2600. I'm not a gamer - use my computer mainly for business apps and browsing.

Will I see a noticeable diff in performance? Notable enough to justify $700? Or am I better off trying to upgrade components in the existing PC

Thanks for your help.

Very very little difference.
m
l
Related resources
a c 97 à CPUs
a b α HP
October 22, 2011 4:46:22 AM

I agree with ghnader - you will see very little performance increase for business applications; even if you are multi tasking. Even a $100 justification will be difficult!
m
l
October 23, 2011 1:54:46 AM

Thank you all for the guidance.

It looks like I average 60% CPU Utilization on a regular basis and I do tend to keep many apps open at the same time. The system seems sluggish at times, especially browsing (and I do have a very high speed internet service (>5GB up/down).

Any suggestions on how to speed this machine? (currently has 8GB RAM which seems to be maxing out often and the video card is NVIDIA GeFORCE 8800 GT).

Thanks again for your help!
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2011 2:01:22 AM

zohan said:
Thank you all for the guidance.

It looks like I average 60% CPU Utilization on a regular basis and I do tend to keep many apps open at the same time. The system seems sluggish at times, especially browsing (and I do have a very high speed internet service (>5GB up/down).

Any suggestions on how to speed this machine? (currently has 8GB RAM which seems to be maxing out often and the video card is NVIDIA GeFORCE 8800 GT).

Thanks again for your help!

What business apps are you using?
Even my athlon II X4 i with 10 Documents and 20 webpages open i dont get anywhere near 30%
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a b α HP
October 23, 2011 2:03:02 AM

1. Clean up temp files. (Start ---> Programs ---> Accessories ---> System Tools ---> Disk Cleanup).
2. Check start-up programs. Disable (not delete) all except the most frequently used ones.
3. Check your disks for fragmentation. Defrag if necessary.
4. Run the anti-virus program.
5. Run the anti spyware program (Spybot S&D)

Your RAM and video card are fine.
m
l
October 23, 2011 2:46:41 AM

If you are maxing out 8GB then you either need more or you have too many useless programs open. Your CPU and Graphic crad are fine. Maybe it's the HDD?
m
l
October 23, 2011 7:19:54 AM

Thank you all again - much appreciate your insight.

ghnader:

The apps are office 2010, visio 2010, project 2010 and several other 3rd party apps. I also keep 40-60 webpages opened at one time (research) and sometime using 2 browsers. Also using 2 email apps (outlook and thunderbird) concurrently. And lastly, I used video editing software fairly regularly.

Ubrales:

Thanks for the tips - I will definitely give them a shot. BTW, I have Avast installed. Do I still need to run Spybot?

Jiyung:

I have 2 x 500gb disks in RAID config. Is that an issue?

Thanks again!
m
l
a c 82 à CPUs
October 23, 2011 8:03:42 AM

what kind of RAID? what hard drives? RAID 0 will become full of errors and slow the system down when you are not using RAID edition hard drives. Probably time for a clean install of windows, that will speed things up for sure.
m
l
a c 97 à CPUs
a b α HP
October 23, 2011 2:25:23 PM

zohan said:

Ubrales:

Thanks for the tips - I will definitely give them a shot. BTW, I have Avast installed. Do I still need to run Spybot?

Thanks again!

I have Spybot S&D and Kaspersky Internet Security. No one program catches everything. Spybot S&D is a free download. I recommend it in addition to Avast.
m
l

Best solution

a c 471 à CPUs
a b α HP
October 23, 2011 4:20:21 PM

zohan said:
Thank you all again - much appreciate your insight.

ghnader:

The apps are office 2010, visio 2010, project 2010 and several other 3rd party apps. I also keep 40-60 webpages opened at one time (research) and sometime using 2 browsers. Also using 2 email apps (outlook and thunderbird) concurrently. And lastly, I used video editing software fairly regularly.

That's your problem. You have many programs opened at the same time mainly the 40-60 webpages. Your issue is the lack of RAM. Your computer must continually swap data back and forth from RAM to hard drive and back again when you switch from one app to another.

A faster computer will cut down the time when doing video editing, but it will not really help with performance issues when all those apps opened at once.
November 2, 2011 12:23:20 AM

Best answer selected by zohan.
m
l
!