Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply Question

Last response: in Components
October 22, 2011 4:35:14 AM

Hello, to make a long story short im looking to upgrade my pc's video card basically to play a game that is coming out in the near future, not a hardcore gamer however I have asked around a few different people I know about which card I should purchase. By the way my computer specs are as follows...

HP Pavilion Slimline s5510y
Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) II X2 240 Processor 2.80GHz
RAM: 3.00GB (2.75 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit Operating system
GeForce 6150SE nForce430

So while being suggested to a few video cards the question came up what is my power supply, turns out it is 220Watts which a friend of mine said is very week, and that I need to upgrade that in order to than upgrade my video card. I have been looking around at different power supply's (my friend suggested around 500watts) and it seems as though I have no idea which ones can fit. Another issue I have is with the video cards, it seems as though the better they are the longer they are. The game I need it for is Diablo 3 again this will really be the only game I will probably play. Now my computer knowledge is very basic and any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

(video cards that were suggested = Radeon HD 6850, Radeon HD 6950, Radeon HD 6870

More about : power supply question

October 22, 2011 4:50:36 AM

Hi there, it is moderately unclear just what you are asking, but I'll persevere anyway.

I had a brief look at the specs of your PC, and the news is not good.

As it is a "slimline" (read mass manufactured HP crap) case, it does not look to fit large ATX PSUs. You are going to have to measure the current PSU and check to see what you can fit in there.

GFX card wise, you should measure how much space is free on the end of your current GFX card and go from there.

You alternatively could move all the current components to a new case, which would alleviate many of your troubles.
a c 76 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 4:56:28 AM

Here are the specs of the computer: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

According to this, the width is "Width: 10.5 cm (4.1 inches)" - Make sure that the video card will fit inside this case. The Radeon HD 6850 is 4.84" wide.
Related resources
a c 1108 ) Power supply
a c 504 U Graphics card
October 22, 2011 5:47:24 AM

You have a slimline case and the only video cards that are going to fit in there are the Low Profile ones.

Radeon HD 6850 low profile cards exist but are rare (e.g. AFOX Radeon HD 6850 (LP)). I haven't seen any low profile versions of the HD 6950 or the HD 6870.

Low profile versions of the HD 6670 and HD 5570 are easier to find.

Good Luck to you on trying to find a 500 Watt TFX form factor power supply unit for that case. The best you're gonna find is the SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W.
October 22, 2011 6:35:39 AM

Thanks for getting back to me, I figured as much about the 500 watt power supply unit, in your opinion if i went with the seasonic 300w what would be my best bet for a video card?
October 22, 2011 6:40:42 AM

sorry for the double post, forgot to add where is my best best to find the above if I wanted the low profile Radeon HD 6850
!