Sign in with
Your question

Dell Dimension 4600

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 5, 2011 6:26:10 AM

Hi,
My Dad has a Dell Dimension 4600 he bought back in '03. It's got a P4 2.66 processor. This is about all the info I can get out of him about the unit. I'm trying to figure out without having seen it, if these units came with a built in wireless networking card? My guess is they probably didn't. If not, can one be added? If so, I was going to purchase a router for him as well. Do these cards have to matched up in any way with the router? Same type, manufacturer, etc.? Thanks!

Jeff

More about : dell dimension 4600

Anonymous
January 5, 2011 7:25:10 AM

To gain any extra performance from 802.11n mode you need to buy n mode equipment, both router and wireless adapter -- preferably from the same networking brand to ensure compatibility. Personally I'm dubious of any benefit from n. so Emerald is correct in principle.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 6, 2011 12:00:58 AM

i agree i would buy the same brand!
m
l
January 6, 2011 9:05:36 PM

Thanks to all who responded to my questions. :) 

It was pointed out to me by one of my "computer" buddies, that since my Father's system is already hard-wired to the internet through Comcast, I really don't even need an adapter card. All he is trying to achieve is a wifi connection around the house for his new Kindle and smart phone. Sorry for not making this clear when I posted.

My friend also informed me that since my Dad's Dell is 8 years old, its motherboard would not support the "giga-byte" something-or-other of an "N" router??? He claims it will work, but not function at full capacity. So His advice was to go with a "G" and save a few bucs. I'm thinking I may go with an "N" anyway, so when he upgrades to a newer system, he'll be set up. Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks again!

Jeff
m
l
Anonymous
January 7, 2011 5:53:56 AM

Your main concern will be to get the new router working with the Comcast (cable ?) modem.

Beyond that, connecting mobile phone -- the cellphone makers don't seem too keen on one using a home network to access the internet -- perhaps they'd rather you used the costly cellphone-type connection -- so instructions provided in the box can be a bit sketchy.

Kindle is still a bit of an unknown so I would do your research into that and the phone before spending on the router.
m
l
!