New build will not boot

ben_b

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hi all

I'm trying to build a PC, but it will not boot. Fans come on, but there is no video at all.

I've gone through the checklist, and I'm sure everything is seated and connected properly.

The base of the system is the Asus V7-P8H67E

When it is turned on, the red LED on the motherboard is lit constantly. The manual tells me that this means there is a problem with the memory - not correctly installed, incompatible, or broken.

The specs say that Dual Channel DDR3 1333 MHz is supported, and the memory I have installed is Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9 Dual Channel Desktop. Looks to me as though it should be supported.

I have tried the RAM sticks individually in all 4 slots, and I have tried pressing the button on the motherboard that auto-tunes the memory.

I don't want to go and buy more RAM if that's not what the problem is.
Please can someone give me some advice as to what I should try next?

Many thanks.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
The QVL tab refers to Qualified Vendor List for the memory. PErhaps you should download those lists and see if your memory is supported.

You are using XMS memory which is different to "regular" ram so it might not be compatible with your motherboard. The red light usually refers to the ram.

You need at least a 500 watt PSU.

Best to give all of your specs so that we can make a better assessment. A rig is not just dependant on the ram the PSU, CPU, and GPU all play a part as does the size of the case (ventilation).

G

have you tried unplugging the power and removing the ni-cad battery for about 1 minute then put the battery back in, plug it back in then try to boot?

after that check the cord [dvi, vga, hdmi], try using another one if possible

ben_b

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

CPU is Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Sany Bridge.
I think the PSU must be compatible, as it's a bare bones system - case, PSU and Motherboard. Everything is connected.

I think from that it must be the RAM. I'll double check against the QVL later, and if XMS is not supported, that must be it.

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on.

ben_b

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
OK, not the RAM.
1. The Crucial site states "Guaranteed to work on all dual channel Intel and AMD platforms"
2. I got some more DDR3 RAM, and it exhibits the same problem.

I've tried all 3 video outputs (HDMI, DVI, VGA).

The only other thing I might try is putting the CPU and RAM from my working PC into this motherboard and seeing what happens. I don't really want to risk that though, as pulling the CPU in and out is probably not advisable.

So, duff motherboard?

ben_b

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I was just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions before I return the components to the supplier for a refund?

Can u reset the BIOS?
Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm
[flash=480,270]http://www.youtube.com/v/rdHH9KrceR0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage[/flash]

ben_b

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hi all.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I was away for a week.

I'm using the PSU it came with and an Intel Core i5 3570K s1155 CPU.

I have cleared the CMOS with the jumper, and also removed the battery for a few minutes. Still no joy.

I'm pretty convinced the motherboard is faulty, as as far as I can tell, the components should play nicely together.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, otherwise I'll return it to the supplier.

Thanks.

ben_b

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
PS. I've had an email from the supplier to say that the CPU is not compatible with the motherboard unless the BIOS has been upgraded.

Of course, I don't see how it's possible to upgrade the BIOS when the system will not boot!