Help with gigabyte Vtt voltage

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I have recently built a brand new machine and everything runs nicely or so it seems but at random and usually on shutdown after windows has logged out i would get bsod for memory management. So i went into the bios and turned down my ram from 1600 mhz to 1333 using the multiplier and so far it has been about a week with no bsob and much smoother running. recently i have decided to turn the mhz back up to 1600 and turned off my gigabyte boards xtreme memory profile options to see if I could get my ram to run stable so far so good. However my qeustion is what is good vtt voltage for my ram as with the profile off it sets it too 1.05 with it on it sets to 1.20 which was when i was getting the bsob, so could it be the vtt voltage was too high ? (my understanding of what vtt voltage does is very very limited)

my computers rough specs are the gigibyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard with I5 3750k overcloked from 3.4-4.3 with corsair vengence lp ddr3 1600mhz ram and 128gigabyte samsung 830 ssd with 650watt power-supply the corsair tx760m and nvidia 670 FTW graphics card

also i would like to note the original overclocked was 4.5, i turned that down to 4.3 so it might be that paired with ram was causing the instability.

atm i am running prime95 on a blend test with my cpu at 4.3 and my ram at 1600mhz with 1.05 vtt voltage. I would note i bought the motherboard bundle pre-overclocked by scan.co.uk so i do not know the bios that well or any know faults with the gigabyte bios. another side note is i original installed windows 7 with the overcloack settings on unaware this cuase instablity and had alot of trouble getting windows update to install, however since then i turned off overclock and did full reinstall which made my system much much more stable so this may also be a cuase.

My main qeustion is anything i have done there hugely wrong ? or could be factor many things have cuase the bsod and am i running at safe memory voltages ? and if my memory passes an overnight prime95 blend test should i just leave my system alone before i make new problems ?:D also might be worth mentioning i fail a intel burn test on maxuim stress 5 runs with overclocked of 4.3ghz and a vid of 1.2310 v i see alot of 1.3 volts not sure if 1.2310 is too low

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

VTT is the memory controller voltage. The memory controller requires more juice to run higher speed ram which is why it will set it to higher values. My RIVE sets the CPUVTT voltage to 1.4 volts for DDR3-2133 which is far too high, it works perfectly at 1.2 volts.

Each and every CPU will behave differently. While there is a general distribution as to where most CPUs can be expected to behave there will always be a few outliers that perform either exceptionally well above their marketed values and a few that perform poorly when run above their marketed values.

Since the IvyBridge processors are marketed with native DDR3-1600 support this means that you shouldn't have problems running DDR3-1600 so long as you follow the guidelines which including using JEDEC standard voltage and timings (Corsair Vengeance does, Dominator does not) as well as obey the ranks/modules per channel limit. Most of the time the rank/module limits can be ignored but a little more VTT/DRAM voltage may be required to gain stability.

There shouldn't be any harm in running your VTT at 1.2 volts (the limit is 1.4) but if it's working at 1.05 then leave it at that.

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Not much of that made much sense to me i hate to say but it is running fine at 1.05 volt i passed intel burn test on standards 10 runs fine i fail maxuim stress test thou but i wonder if passing test is the starndard test is enuogh to say i have a stable system not sure on that one but hopefully i encounter no more problems

Failing the maximum test at stock settings would be alarming, but not surprising with a shitty overclock.

besaidbuster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

well the main bulk of the overclock was done by scan.co.uk that produces very good overclocked bundles. Only thing i have changed is the vtt and the cpu multiplier to reduce overclock to 4.3 from 4.5 other then as far i was aware it was good overclock why would you call it a shitty overclock ?