Sign in with
Your question

Replacing MOBO help??

Last response: in Motherboards
July 18, 2012 1:53:23 AM

Hello,

so i have a pc and i want to replace the MOBO and CPU because there old and if the hard drive has windows vista service pack 2 64-Bit can i on BIOS bot it off from the hard drive and make the whole computer work?

Can i put a hard drive with an OS already installed on it and boot the pc off the hard drive and have all of my data on it and make everything functional?

More about : replacing mobo

a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a c 462 V Motherboard
July 18, 2012 2:18:06 AM

youkinkyy said:
Hello,

so i have a pc and i want to replace the MOBO and CPU because there old and if the hard drive has windows vista service pack 2 64-Bit can i on BIOS bot it off from the hard drive and make the whole computer work?

Can i put a hard drive with an OS already installed on it and boot the pc off the hard drive and have all of my data on it and make everything functional?

depends on the mb and cpu you pick up. the newer mb dont run windows windows vista. you have to put a new drive in and install windows 7 or windows 8. then using a usb kit or plugging it into a sata port move your data onto the new drive. another easy way is to pick up a network crossover cable and network the two pc and copy the files over.
m
l
July 18, 2012 2:41:09 AM

Throwing a hard drive in a computer with an OS already installed, most often, yields low results in successfully booting.

Question is, do you have an OS disk? If you do then install the drive and install the OS, leave the second drive as slave then copy over your info.

You can always use WET (Windows Easy Transfer), its simple an effective. Just point it to an external location for storage and use the file to import when the new build is up and running.

You could always shrink your partition, create a new partition in the free space(at least 12GB for Win 7 32bit and 16GB for Win 7 64bit).. then swap your parts and install Win 7 in the new partition. Copy your data over then destroy the old partition.

Just a thought. If you have the OS disc it makes life very easy.
m
l
!