Closed Solved

Best motherboard under $150

I am looking to get a motherboard under $150 but could go a bit higher if there are more features. I would prefer an asus motherboard. The current one i am looking at right now is a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 but is it good?. I plan to have a i5-3570k, 16 gb of dual channel ram 1600 mhz, a single 1tb 7200 rpm samsung spinpoint and maybe a ssd later, a cooler master v6 gt cpu cooler, sli GTX 670 graphics cards. my case has support for 2 usb 3.0 ports, 2 usb 2.0 ports, plus a headphones and microphone jack, so i need those on my motherboard.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best motherboard
  1. Note that it will be used for gaming.
  2. Best answer
    The Extreme4 is the one that I would recommend for that price range.

This is a nice one as well, but it's only a 4+2 power phase design instead of the 8+4 design on the Extreme4 ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
  3. I do plan to overclock so a 8+4 design would be better for that. I see that you overclocked your cpu a lot. Could I clock mine up that much? I'm getting a i5-3570k with the asrock extreme 4 motherboard, a cool master v6 gt, and i'll be using artic silver as5 thermal grease.
  4. Agree with DJDeCiBeL either of those motherboards will serve you well both are decent
  5. jimmy_dog said:
    I see that you overclocked your cpu a lot. Could I clock mine up that much? I'm getting a i5-3570k with the asrock extreme 4 motherboard, a cool master v6 gt, and i'll be using artic silver as5 thermal grease.

Since that's a 3570K and not a 2500K, 4.5 will be a challenge, even with the V6 GT cooler, so you'll probably end up being temperature limited. If you're lucky and get a good chip, you may get to 4.5 without a TON of heat though. We usually recommend top end cooling for 4.5 and above with 3570K's. The Extreme4 is a good board for it though.
  6. is a 2500k better for overclocking? Its $20 less so i'll get it if it is.
  7. jimmy_dog said:
    is a 2500k better for overclocking? Its $20 less so i'll get it if it is.

It's better for higher OC's on air, yes. Just to compare, a 3570K @ 4.5 = a 2500K @ ~4.8.
  8. Then i might just stick with the 3570k and overclock it to 4.2 gHZ
  9. Wait... Are you talking about performance or overclocking capabilities?
  10. jimmy_dog said:
    Wait... Are you talking about performance or overclocking capabilities?

Performance.
  11. I'll do that then.
  12. Best answer selected by jimmy_dog.
  13. I got stable to 4.4 with auto voltages in testing then backed off since it wasn't necessary for anything I play (BF3, Skyrim, etc).
  14. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Product