Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P9X79

Last response: in Motherboards
July 18, 2012 4:47:51 AM

Hello, I have come across a lot of answers from a lot of genius' here, but none of the suggestions solved my problem yet. The problem is that I can get my PC to boot up. I just upgraded to an i7 3820 3.6GHz and I got an ASUS p9X79 motherboard. I heard awesome stuff about the board but never imagined it to have compatibility issues. The Ram I have is Corsair Dominator CMP16GX3M4X1866C9. It is not listed in the compatibility ASUS page, however, it is listen in the Corsair website. So i guess it isn't the problem. the motherboard is connected to a Delta 750W PSU. Is the power enough?
I also tried the option (flashing BIOS) upgrading BIOS several times to the latest version with a USB according to instructions given many on this page but still no luck. My VGA is an Nvidia Geforce GTS 240. I really need to get this to work asap.
Also, one other reason is that whenever i turn the power onm the Dram LED stays red. I tried the Memok button several times too, but it keeps going back to the normal state.
If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Izzy

Cheers

More about : asus p9x79

July 18, 2012 11:29:00 AM

DRAM LED stays red is an indicator - RAM compatibility issue...

1. Did you connect 8pin power cord to motherboard?
2. Since you have 4X4G memory, use 2X4G give it a try...
July 18, 2012 7:54:47 PM

Hey, thanx a lot for your quick reply. Yes I did plug in the 8Pin and it still doesn't work. No other LED's are constantly on, its only the Dram LED. Does this mean that it doesn't support the Ram? I also tried the BIOS Flashback and everything goes well I assume as I cant really tell coz I get nothing on the screen. but yes, the BIOS Flashback light blinks, then rapidly and then stops after after about 2-3 mins. Some say that this means the BIOS has been updated successfully. I cant really tell coz am new to this motherboard and system. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I get no beeps either. none at all.
Thanx.
Izzy.
Related resources
July 18, 2012 7:58:25 PM

Also am sorry i forgot to mention. I did plug in 2 RAM cards and tried, then tried one in different slots, but none of them solved the problem. The only problem is the Dram LED which is constantly on, and I get nothing on the screen. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanx.

Izzy.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 11:56:33 AM

First, USB BIOS Flashback - you must use a FAT32 USB Flash Drive, next the (.ROM) file must be extracted from the (.ZIP) file and renamed to -- P9X79.ROM -- then the Flash Drive must be inserted in the White USB 2.0 port. The PC must be shutdown and the power to at least the 24-pin connected, press and hold the 'USB BIOS Flashback Button' button until you see the if available the USB Drive LED blinking (3~5 seconds); see - http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

You can try just (1) stick: | B | B | B | B | CPU | B | 4GB | B | B | ; B = Blank DIMM slot ; see DIMM configurations - http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/ASUS_...

The CMP16GX3M4X1866C9 kit should be fine unless you either have a bad stick of RAM or the BIOS is a problem.

If after using (1) stick and it fails the try a different stick, but the chances of having multiple bad stick is very remote. Try pressing the the 'MemOK' button during startup. Refer to your manual regarding the procedures.
July 19, 2012 3:31:38 PM

Hey Jaquith, first of all, thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it alot. I tried everything that you have mentioned in your post mate. All of them. Read the manual also a couple of times. Did the Memok procedure, the Bios Flashback from 2 usb drives and both seem to work, but still I made no progress. Nothing on the monitor screen. Not even a beep on the PC speaker. Maybe the speaker is burnt, but the monitor works coz I checked it. Do you think I should send the Motherboard back for replacement? Also I used a Delta 750W Power supply. I dont know if this is good or bad. Please help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank

Izzy
July 19, 2012 4:16:01 PM

Use memory on p9X79's QVL list...
July 19, 2012 4:28:53 PM

Thank You. I was gonna try that next. So is it normal to not get anything on your screen or any PC speaker beeps when the RAM is not compatible?
Thanx.

Izzy.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 5:31:34 PM

I am assuming that your PSU works, you connected the 8-pin CPU, 24-pin main, and the correct PCIe (6-pin for reference cards) to the GPU.

I really don't think that a QVL is the issue; I know the CMP16GX3M4X1866C9 works 100% on the X79's.

As far as a speaker, the MOBO does not come with one so IF you want the 'beep tones' then either your case has one or you'll need to get one; see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

BTW - I know nothing about 'Delta 750W' PSU's...the only link I've seen is - http://www.hardwarest.com/product/DELTA-ELECTRONICS-GPS... so I assume the PSU is good and new and properly connected. Bad power can cause all sorts of oddball behavior. In addition, I assume you didn't use a backplate when installing your HSF and instead are using the correct LGA 2011 standoff's; most are like -> (MOBO) ==|=== (HSF) with the longer end to the HSF assembly.
July 19, 2012 7:36:10 PM

The PSU does work because the GPU receives power and the fan on it works. I did connect the 6-pin PCIE too. Also the Heatsink fan works. I have plugged in the 24 pin and the 8 pin power cables properly. Yes, I dont think the ram is the issue because on the COrsair Compatibility list they say it works.

I got a seperate small speaker when I bought the case and I connected it properly too but still I dont get any beeps.

Sorry I didn't get this part 'In addition, I assume you didn't use a backplate when installing your HSF and instead are using the correct LGA 2011 standoff's; most are like -> (MOBO) ==|=== (HSF) with the longer end to the HSF assembly.'

If what you are asking is whether I took off the plastic plate that was on top of the processor cover on the motherboard, then yes, I took it off so that the heatsink is in contact with the processor. The CPU LED does no stay on so am assuming that the CPU receives power and works properly? Its just the DRam LED that stays on.

Also, am using a heat sink fan = Intel LGA 2011 Heatsink and Fan (http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Intel-LGA-2011-Heats...)
Would this be the problem here because everyone uses a corsair H80 or 100 or someother liquid cooling system.

Thanx again for your help. Appreciate it.

Izzy.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 7:59:41 PM

First off the majority of i7-3820 issues are BIOS related. Just because a PSU can power-up fans and make the lights blink doesn't mean it's 'good.' Yes, I was referring the non-Intel HSF assemblies, the 'stock' Intel HSF is pretty much idiot proof (problem = no); some aftermarket HSF use a backplate which isn't typically needed for LGA 2011 and ends-up causing a short/ground short which in-turn cause 'RAM' problems.

To be clear, when using USB BIOS Flashback NOTHING will appear on your screen, and all you'll see is the button LED blink and if equipped the USB Flash Drive LED blink. The procedure only uses 'standby' power.

Next if your case uses 'punch-out' standoffs vs standard standoffs (see image below) then that too can cause shorting/grounding short.

--

Problems:
1. USB Flashback 'should' work.
2. Standoffs
3. RAM ; I assume the RAM is properly seated and you've tried (1) stick, failure substitute (1) stick
| B | B | B | B | CPU | B | 4GB | B | B | ; B = Blank DIMM slot

Try to Clear CMOS, unplug the PSU from the wall ~5 minutes, (read the manual regarding 'Jumper'), move the CMOS Jumper for at least 10 seconds, then back again in normal position. See - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0
July 19, 2012 8:34:49 PM

jaquith said:
I am assuming that your PSU works, you connected the 8-pin CPU, 24-pin main, and the correct PCIe (6-pin for reference cards) to the GPU.

I really don't think that a QVL is the issue; I know the CMP16GX3M4X1866C9 works 100% on the X79's.

As far as a speaker, the MOBO does not come with one so IF you want the 'beep tones' then either your case has one or you'll need to get one; see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

BTW - I know nothing about 'Delta 750W' PSU's...the only link I've seen is - http://www.hardwarest.com/product/DELTA-ELECTRONICS-GPS... so I assume the PSU is good and new and properly connected. Bad power can cause all sorts of oddball behavior. In addition, I assume you didn't use a backplate when installing your HSF and instead are using the correct LGA 2011 standoff's; most are like -> (MOBO) ==|=== (HSF) with the longer end to the HSF assembly.

Since cannot "see", we can only get some clues from what Izzywildchild has said, and rule out the factors one by one...

And Izzywildchild repetitively mentioned that the RAM LED was red...and constantly on...so, the RAM is still under suspicion.

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 10:17:31 PM

vodomore said:
Since cannot "see", we can only get some clues from what Izzywildchild has said, and rule out the factors one by one...

And Izzywildchild repetitively mentioned that the RAM LED was red...and constantly on...so, the RAM is still under suspicion.

Since the OP cannot Post there's little that can be done:
1. Rule-out other issues (Installation issues including power)
2. BIOS update ; I see a ton of DRAM LED's with i7-3820, 6-core's rarely
3. Test 1 stick at a time
4. Use MemOK @ boot
5. Replace RAM ; there's nearly a zero chance of all 4 sticks being 'bad' ; test (1) stick at a time

Otherwise start replacing stuff including the GPU. If the BIOS is fully up to date which I have my doubts then breadboard (remove the MOBO from case and strip the MOBO down to bare minimum to boot.
July 19, 2012 10:25:35 PM

Thank you all for your help. Am sure this can be solved with all your help, so I started off with Updating My BIOS again. So i cleared CMOS just like Jaquith stated. Funny thing happened though. I inserted the flash drive and pressed the bios button for 3 seconds and it started blinking and I though, Yay! Well, its been 1 and a half hours and it still hasn't stopped. Is this normal? I doubt it. Can i just pull out the usb and start from scratch? Should I clear CMOS again?
Thank you.
Izzy.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 10:50:48 PM

Hmm...I don't want to touch that with a 10' pole, it's not a good sign; 3~5 minutes is normal. However, if it's stuck it's stuck. The Flash Drive must be clean, no partitions and FAT32 (FAT16 works).

I do this with most all of my USB Flash Drives and ditto with those for BIOS ; see - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcSVVPbzIno
July 19, 2012 11:25:56 PM

Thanx mate, I'm about to follow those steps in the video. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Thanx again.

Izzy.
July 19, 2012 11:39:06 PM

Updated Bios successfully this time in 2 - 3 mins, but still no luck. This is such a curse. I think the best thing to do right now is to get the Motherboard replaced. Right? Any other suggestions?
Thanx

Izzy

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 20, 2012 1:25:10 PM

I'd try other RAM first, you only need (1) stick. If that fails breadboard and if that fails RMA the MOBO.
July 20, 2012 1:38:57 PM

Thanx but in this website, the Ram I have is listed as compatible:

http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/

Plus on the ASUS website it says that if you dont hear a beep to replace the motherboard. Just saying. I would like to change Ram first too because its much easier than changing motherboards.

Thanx

Izzy.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 20, 2012 2:18:53 PM

Quote:
The CMP16GX3M4X1866C9 kit should be fine unless you either have a bad stick of RAM or the BIOS is a problem.

I never said the kit wasn't compatible or anything but good. Sure your MOBO could be bad, but so can be an assortment of 'other' items including installation.

IF it were 'me' I'd breadboard and swap-out RAM (1) stick and the GPU. I might even remove the CPU to see if there was a mistake seating it.

I myself had a bad PSU and blamed the MOBO, everyone blames the MOBO, but after replacing the PSU -- magic it worked great. MOBO failures are ~2% in reality. The vast majority is User Error either installing and/or component failure and/or selection.

If it's easy breezy to RMA the MOBO then go for it.
July 23, 2012 11:48:08 AM

Hello, sorry for the delay. So after all it was the motherboard. I got it replaced. Now the problem is the VGA Led. The first time I plugged it outside the case with minium configuration, it finally booted. Then it said no keyboard detected. So I powered off and then connected the keyboard and then tried powering it on. Ever since, I have had no luck at all. It always gives me the VGA beep (one long, 3 short) and the VGA Led stays constantly lit. I have a feeling its the PSU. Its a Delta 750W but it came with my earlier machine which was a mini atx i7 940 2.6. So maybe the power is not enough. But it says 750W. I thought that was enough. I am confused. Please help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Izzy

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 23, 2012 12:06:07 PM

Quote:
Bad power can cause all sorts of oddball behavior.

I still believe the PSU is killing your MOBO and perhaps other components. The more you power up the system IF the PSU is indeed bad the more the damage it is doing...try a different PSU. The 'wattage' is only part of the equation, it's more about 'clean' power and amperage. PSU's lose capacitance over time -- electrolytic capacitor aging.
July 23, 2012 12:15:34 PM

Thank you very much. I will take it to a store in a bit and ask them to try a new PSU and if it works, i will buy it. Thanx again. Appreciate it.

Izzy.
!