PC refuses to boot - PSU not starting

cbarker

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hi,

I've just built a system for a friend (spec at the bottom of this message). We forgot to order a DVD drive, so thought we would use one from an old machine.

I first tried booting without the DVD drive attached and everything was fine - we got into BIOS ok, all components (CPU, RAM, hard drive) were correctly identified and the machine was running at a reasonable temperature. All good so far.

I then powered down the machine and connected the old DVD drive - at this point the system refused to power on (i.e. the fans wouldn't start and no LEDs lit up). Strangely, disconnecting the drive has failed to resolve the issue - pressing the power switch on the front of the machine makes the PSU's fan move a tiny amount before stopping, whether the DVD drive is connected or not.

To me it sounds like a faulty PSU, but it seems odd that the computer booted into BIOS perfectly the first time around. Is it possible for a faulty DVD drive to somehow knock out the PSU or (please please no!) the motherboard?

Many thanks - here's the spec:

Asus P8P67 LE R3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i3 540 3.06GHz Socket 1155 4MB L3 Cache processor
MSI HD 4670 1GB GDDR3 Graphics card
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 memory
Be Quiet 530W Pure Power PSU
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive

rvilkman

Distinguished
Well everything is possible but I doubt the issue is the DVD drive.

PSU would be the most likely solution, but it may also have taken something with it. Or it could also be the motherboard.
Easiest way to check is of course trying with another PSU.