Wireless connection keeps dropping

drumsloot

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hi,

I recently moved into new student accomodation. It's a rented house and I'm living with 3 other students. We have a NETGEAR wireless modem router.
I'm also using a relatively new computer, which is running Windows 7.

A short while (about 20-30 minutes) after turning the computer on and doing normal tasks, the internet connection will drop. I get a little exclamation mark in a yellow triangle over the signal bars in the bottom right of the screen when this happens.

The problem can be immediately rectified by disconnecting, then reconnecting, but this is quite annoying if I'm playing games online.

Here's what I know:
-My computer appears to be the only device that suffers with this problem. None of the other housemates have complained, and my iPhone and laptop don't have this problem either.
-According to Device Manager, my wireless card has the latest driver.
-This problem re-occurs roughly every hour or two.
-My signal strength is always 5 bars.
-I can't log into the router admin page (192.168.0.1) as I don't know the username and password. Then again, I don't think the router is the problem.

Anyone know what's going on? It would be great to solve this issue!

drumsloot

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
For anyone that is suffering from the same issue, I might have found a solution. I simply installed the driver again - at first I installed it from the disc that came with my computer, but recently I tried uninstalling it and downloading it from the wireless adapter's manufacturer website, and now it seems not to have any issues. :)