Tlechem

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Hey, so I built a computer for my parents. It worked fine for a few months but now the computer is having problems. There was a problem where the computer wouldnt even boot. So i removed one stick of ram, then it booted. While booting, it said:

"disks need check for consistency"

or something like that, then it booted fine. I then put the 2nd stick of ram back into the computer and the computer booted fine. The next day, the my parents told me they were having another problem, they said the computer said

"The file may be corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum"

And that the computer wouldn’t start. I have no clue what this means and it is frustrating. I don’t know what the core of the problem is. Could it possibly be the ram that is the problem, or is it the ssd. And what do those two messages even mean, thanks for all the help.

My Parents don’t know much about computers, they might even just be turning the computer off in the wrong way. It may be a simple answer, but all opinions are welcome. Thanks
Specs:
MSI 760GM-P33 AM3
AMD Athlon II X2 255
Crucial RealSSD C300 64gb
Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB 1333MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 (x2)
Corsair CMPSU-430CX CX Series 430-watt
Cooler Master Elite Mid Tower Case

EDIT:
So i went to my parents house and found out that the computer will randomly shut off and go to a black screen with a cursor blinking. This is probably what causes the messages while booting up. So any help as to figure out how to stop these random shut off would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
make sure the hard drive connectors are properly plugged in

and open a command prompt and run chkdsk /f

tell it yes when it says cant lock drive etc then reboot and it should check the filesystem and repair any errors found

if that doesnt work try open command prompt and run sfc /scannow

open your command prompt by right clicking and select run as administrator
make sure the hard drive connectors are properly plugged in

and open a command prompt and run chkdsk /f

tell it yes when it says cant lock drive etc then reboot and it should check the filesystem and repair any errors found

if that doesnt work try open command prompt and run sfc /scannow

open your command prompt by right clicking and select run as administrator

Solution