Sign in with
Your question

New Antec HCG-900 PSU......lights but no action?

Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2011 10:01:32 PM

Hello,
I have an aged system. My previous PSU is a Vantec 500w & it has worked fine for many years. Going to SLI required more power than the unit could provide, so I purchased the aforementioned PSU.
After connecting what needed connecting I have power to the motherboard {green LED light} yet no power at the power button. I am using all provided cords from Antec, all associated power connectors have power. When I press the power button the case fans blink and have a partial spin. Fans are powered through both the motherboard terminals and MODEX connectors. PSU fan has not moved. After turning PSU power button off then on again it repeats same action.
What have I missed or done wrong?

System:
Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Processor: Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+
Memory: OCZ Platinum PC3200 4GB
Video Cards: Gigabyte GTS-450 1GB Extreme OC Edition, running SLI
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Zs
Hard drives:
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Hitatchi Deskstar 1TB
DVD: Sony lightscribe
CD: Plextor CDRW
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T220
July 25, 2011 2:43:32 AM

The CPU probably not be able to handle the GTs 450 SLI, take a video card out and turn it on if things works...
m
l
July 25, 2011 12:24:52 PM

Prior to installing the Antec PSU the Vantec PSU would power everything for a short period of time before it would start overheating. I will try your suggestion to eliminate an option.
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2011 2:15:18 AM

Okay test performed following video outline.
PSU is working.
Next?
If the motherboard has shorted out how could that be tested?
The plug wires for the power button were not moved from the motherboard & appear to be seated.

Thanks for the vid hunter315 good info.
m
l
July 27, 2011 5:38:05 AM

shindoru said:
Okay test performed following video outline.
PSU is working.
Next?

Is the fan spinning? If not, try to take the fan out and plug onto motherboard and turn PSU on and see if it spin for like few second than turn off... Your CPU is really weak to handle these SLI... Im sure it's a 1 Core which can't do much these days but surf... You wont even be playing games with one Core and 2 GPU SLI... BTW what's your current PSU, you never mentioned it, all i know is your "previous" PSU is a Vantec 500w...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 27, 2011 12:28:56 PM

legendkiller said:
BTW what's your current PSU, you never mentioned it,

Did you miss the thread title ?
m
l
July 27, 2011 3:33:57 PM

delluser1 said:
Did you miss the thread title ?

Oh LOL... Totally forgot about it XD im so stupid LOL...
m
l
July 28, 2011 3:45:39 AM

Well so far so good.
After testing the Antex with the paperclip and getting power, I hooked it up to the motherboard and just fans.....total of 5 fans excluding PSU....all work with both MODEX power & motherboard connections.....yes the PSU fan works as well.
So far I have power to the motherboard, fans, 1 video card....yet it hangs on boot with the HD's plugged in.
I'm going to separate the 4 rails and see if balancing the power between leads will make a difference.
Thanks for everyone's help!
m
l
July 28, 2011 10:27:19 PM

So an update.
I have now pulled all the wires from the Antec PSU and hooked up the old Vantec PSU with bare bone setup; CPU fan, HD, 1 video card, motherboard. The HD is working "I can hear it", yet no video. I've check the memory sticks to make sure they are set & switched the video cards with nothing improved. Yes, the CPU is duel core.
The only thing common in this is the motherboard....but why?
m
l
July 28, 2011 11:25:27 PM

shindoru said:
So an update.
I have now pulled all the wires from the Antec PSU and hooked up the old Vantec PSU with bare bone setup; CPU fan, HD, 1 video card, motherboard. The HD is working "I can hear it", yet no video. I've check the memory sticks to make sure they are set & switched the video cards with nothing improved. Yes, the CPU is duel core.
The only thing common in this is the motherboard....but why?

It is not likely to be the MotherBoard because it's one of the high-end board so i doubt it's the motherboard... Is there any red light that lit up? When you boot, do you see those settings or whatever that usually comes up after the beep? if not, there's no way solving it but send it to store for them to figure it out, it only cause like $100 for them to solve the problem but if replacing any hardware, it'll cost more...
m
l
July 29, 2011 1:09:06 AM

Legendkiller thanks for sticking around.
CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+(Socket939) I miss label this.
This has been very intriguing to say the least.
I pulled everything and started from scratch. I'm getting power to: motherboard {LED light is on}, both video cards {LED lights are on}, all fans, DVD & CD units cycle during boot up, all HD's cycle. Yet no video & no {beep} on boot. All power/reset/HD etc. pins are intact. Monitor searches for digital/analog for about 30 sec. then blanks out on standby. I'm going to clear the CMOS and see if this changes anything, after that.....not quite sure.
m
l
July 29, 2011 2:58:21 AM

shindoru said:
Legendkiller thanks for sticking around.
CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+(Socket939) I miss label this.
This has been very intriguing to say the least.
I pulled everything and started from scratch. I'm getting power to: motherboard {LED light is on}, both video cards {LED lights are on}, all fans, DVD & CD units cycle during boot up, all HD's cycle. Yet no video & no {beep} on boot. All power/reset/HD etc. pins are intact. Monitor searches for digital/analog for about 30 sec. then blanks out on standby. I'm going to clear the CMOS and see if this changes anything, after that.....not quite sure.

It is likely dead video card... Your NEW PSU must've burned it or something... Here's a similar problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLlf92NSB8I&feature=relm...
after you watch this video watch the next or first link on the right side...
m
l
August 1, 2011 2:14:48 AM

I used a bright LED light and checked all capacitors, unplugged everything from the motherboard except the CPU, fans, speaker, power switch wires etc., and power.
No "beep"! reversed speaker polarity for grins and still nothing. My guess its the motherboard.
m
l
August 13, 2011 4:42:29 AM

Well after a lot of testing I narrowed this down to one of two things....motherboard or CPU.
After acquiring another Asus A8n32-sli deluxe my computer fired right up and is now purring happily.
Thanks for everyone's input.
m
l
!