Solved

2600k HD 3000 Integrated Graphics OK for DAW

Hi Folks,
I have a 2600k and am considering motherboards. Simple question: Is the HD 3000 integrated graphics adequate for non-gaming, normal use? I will be using my computer ONLY as a digital audio workstation (DAW), occasionally online to download drivers and such. I run Sonar 8.5 with a bunch of plugins. I read about the HD 3000 not being up to snuff for gaming, but I read almost nothing from real users about non-gaming. All of the tests and benchmarks I read indicate this should be fine for DAW use, but I then read at places like Gearslutz that it is not adequate. (And then people who say that cannot back it up with experience, only what they think...)

Also, I've read in a couple of places that there is possibly glitchy behavior with the HD3000? Are there documented problems, the question of adequate power aside?

I know I can always get a graphics card later, but if the integrated graphics are not up to the job in any way, I will consider z68 boards without graphics outs or consider a p67 board.

Thanks for any responses.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 2600k 3000 integrated graphics
  1. HD 3000 would be adequate for your application. I wouldn't recommend it for gaming or other graphics intensive applications, but it will be perfectly fine for your use. For your application you would probably only need a discrete card if you wanted to run multiple monitors.
  2. Best answer
    It's the best integrated graphics yet, I'd say it's definitely good for non gaming. It should be able to handle 1080p movies no problem.
  3. Supernova1138 said:
    HD 3000 would be adequate for your application. I wouldn't recommend it for gaming or other graphics intensive applications, but it will be perfectly fine for your use. For your application you would probably only need a discrete card if you wanted to run multiple monitors.

Thanks Supernova. My understanding is that the HD3000 supports dual monitors as well. Is there an issue you know of with dual monitors with the onboard graphics, or were you not aware of the reported dual monitor capabilities?
  4. perple said:
    Thanks Supernova. My understanding is that the HD3000 supports dual monitors as well. Is there an issue you know of with dual monitors with the onboard graphics, or were you not aware of the reported dual monitor capabilities?

Didn't know the 3000 could do dual monitors.
  5. Right on. Funny, seems the knee-jerk reaction most have is, "GET A CHEAP GRAPHICS CARD," and little is talked about or really known of the onboard. (Not saying you, Supernova, just sayin...) Makes sense in some ways as it doesn't take much money to beat the onboard. BUT, for my situation, I say, Why not save the money and use what's there. Thanks again Supernova.
  6. Best answer selected by perple.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming HD Graphics