Wireless N Signal to broadcast about 2 miles in dense rainforest?

encima

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Hello,
I have just bought some basic boards with wireless n (built in) and I have recently found out that our transmissions may need to travel a distance of 2 miles.
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a, relatively cheap, option in order to be able to achieve this form of range in a dense environment?
The main issue is that high gain may not be a possibility (due to the disruption it would cause the forest) and the boards are only about half a metre from the ground.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

G

Forest, Rain Forest, Two Miles. Well, the max range of most wifi routers/adapters is claimed at 1000 feet (and that's probably not true even measured in dry air in line of sight).

I think an alternative solution is indicated.

encima

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Bluetooths max range is around 20m yet it has been extended to 3/4 of a mile so it must be possible with WiFi. The problem is I cannot use anything that would stand out too much as it will attacked by animals and no other technologies are available, Cell coverage is spotty and bluetooth is far too short range.

Thanks for your input so far!

G

Sorry to seem so negative -- it probably is possible but you would certainly have to get above the forest canopy and use highly directional antennas both ends.