Closed Solved

Asus p8z77-v motherboard wont power up

I have a OCZ modxstream 500w psu connected to the above mobo but it won't power up .
The psu wiil start up if pin 4 is connected to earth but not when it connected the mobo even if pin 4 is
held connected to earth.Any known incompatibility between the two?
Ian
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus p8z77 motherboard wont power
  1. What other hardware are you using in your build? Have you overclocked anything yet?
  2. What other hardware are you using in your build? Have you overclocked anything yet?[/quotemsg
    Thanks for your reply.
    Nothing is connected to motherboard other than the psu.
  3. What do you mean by "nothing is connected"

The motherboard won't poweron without RAM and a CPU installed. Also you have to have both MB power connectors attached.
  4. Thanks for your reply.
    Nothing is connected to motherboard other than the psu.
  5. itzdanielp said:
    What do you mean by "nothing is connected"

The motherboard won't poweron without RAM and a CPU installed. Also you have to have both MB power connectors attached.

Sorry perhaps I used the wrong term. Should have said the PSU won't switch on. All my previous mobo's would at least turn on the psu before having the other hardware connected. I do this as preliminary check.
    Perhaps this mobo is different
  6. Best answer
    Asus's are pretty sensitive, and often they won't poweron even if a component is slightly loose. I would suggest putting in a CPU and at least 1 RAM stick, and trying again.
  7. itzdanielp said:
    Asus's are pretty sensitive, and often they won't poweron even if a component is slightly loose. I would suggest putting in a CPU and at least 1 RAM stick, and trying again.

Thanks for the suggestion. It appears that EATX mobo's do require a cpu and memory before the PSU will turn on. Your suggestion solved the problem Thanks
  8. Glad it worked out for you!
  9. Best answer selected by Nikorr.
  10. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Asus Power Up