Sign in with
Your question

RAM Help

Last response: in Memory
July 18, 2012 2:54:29 PM

Hi Guys,

Had major PC issues, DRAM led kept displaying and failure to POST, removed what i presume is faulty RAM, and all boots up fine, i have ordered replacement ram (but it comes in a 3 pack), this will leave me with 20GB Ram !!!! :o  :o  .

would it be a problem to run 5 RAM Modules? if they are all identical and same manufacturer, or would i lose the triple channel etc?

The RAM is CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 (2000mhz) corsair gt dominator ddr3

and the motherboard is rampage 3 gene (6 slot).

any help much appreciated, also does anyone know where one can purchase single modules of ram?

Please forgive my Noob knowledge

More about : ram

a c 347 } Memory
July 18, 2012 3:40:44 PM

It might, my only experience with X58 memory configurations are: 1,2,3,4,6 and not 5. Further, I assume you'll have 2 kits of CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 (-) minus one stick. 5 'should' run the question is if they'll run as 'Rated' vs how much greater than defaults of DDR3-1066?

Those kits come with a Lifetime Warranty, contact Corsair and arrange an RMA -> http://www.corsair.com/en/support/technicalsupport/
a c 105 } Memory
July 18, 2012 4:13:24 PM

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will not support ram that is not bought in one kit.

That said, Intel ram controllers are very good and tolerant; your ram should work ok.

With 5 sticks, the first three sticks should operate in triple channel mode, and the odd 2 sticks will be either single or perhaps double channel mode. A careful reading of your motherboard manual should document this, and tell you which slots to populate.

It really is a moot point since more ram trumps faster ram for Intel cpu's. You do have windows 7 pro or ultimate which is needed to access >16gb, I hope?
Related resources
July 18, 2012 4:19:43 PM

geofelt said:
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will not support ram that is not bought in one kit.

That said, Intel ram controllers are very good and tolerant; your ram should work ok.

With 5 sticks, the first three sticks should operate in triple channel mode, and the odd 2 sticks will be either single or perhaps double channel mode. A careful reading of your motherboard manual should document this, and tell you which slots to populate.

It really is a moot point since more ram trumps faster ram for Intel cpu's. You do have windows 7 pro or ultimate which is needed to access >16gb, I hope?

does window 7 home premium not allow >16gb? (the guy installed it when he repaired my pc earlier (different issue faulty hard drive) I have a ultimate install but will be a pain to reinstall windows.

the ram may come in handy for high def video editing and special effects software

have started an RMA anyway so might have 24GBS :o 
a c 347 } Memory
July 18, 2012 4:24:19 PM

3dsurroundisgreat said:
does window 7 home premium not allow >16gb? (the guy installed it when he repaired my pc earlier (different issue faulty hard drive) I have a ultimate install but will be a pain to reinstall windows.

the ram may come in handy for high def video editing and special effects software

have started an RMA anyway so might have 24GBS :o 

Limits -> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop...(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

So yep, >16GB you'll need Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise. I only use Pro or Ultimate.
a c 105 } Memory
July 18, 2012 4:42:57 PM

Windows has an anytime upgrade option, where you can buy an upgrade.
But, it also has an option to enter an already purchased upgrade key.

I think you could just enter your ultimate product key and unlock the associated capabilities.
Disclaimer: I have not done this, but it might be worth a try.

For video editing, the more ram, the better.
July 19, 2012 4:26:22 PM

the Mystery Deepens, i removed what i thought was the corrupt module and have been running the system for hours and hours with no problem (12 hours+), suddenly just got the BSOD, and the system upon bootup would give me the DRAM warning light and not boot up, removing one of the sticks from the Dimm and placing it back in solved this problem but i had done this again and again, so i am sure it was in firm to begin with.

Does anyone know what would cause a Ram to fail and upon removing and placing it back in boot ok. (i am failry sure it was in solidly when it failed so i doubt it was a lose connection)

im scratching my head here, i really hope its not a motherboard issue as that will be expensive
a c 347 } Memory
July 19, 2012 5:14:42 PM

Depends on the slot, in many cases you simply cannot put them anywhere you'd like.

This DIMM arrangement is fairly universal:

(one stick 2nd DIMM slot from the CPU - red in your case)
a c 105 } Memory
July 19, 2012 7:30:58 PM

Test your ram with memtest86+.

It should run for at least a couple of passes with NO errors.

If you do get errors, try to identify which sticks are good or bad, and, possibly which slots are good or bad.
July 19, 2012 7:41:32 PM

Thanks for the help guys, i am using the correct slots (A1 B1 and C1, which is correct for mobo) , i have previously run memtest (at least once pass with no errors) but i think I will run memtest86+ overnight to ensure it really is or isn't a ram issue.

will post back results:
!