Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which computer will play games better?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 18, 2011 7:04:47 PM

So I have a desktop pc and I just bought an HP Dv6tqe. I'm wondering what will play most games better(currently playing Witcher 2).

Desktop:
AMD Phenom Quad Core 9500 2.2ghz
3GB Ram(thinks it DDR2)
1680x1050 resolution on games
HD 4850 gpu, here's the link to the specifics:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Windows 7 Home Premium

MY HP Dv6tqe:
2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz
1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics
6GB DDR3 Memory
1366x768 resolution(this alone might be the deciding factor)
Windows 7 Home Premium



Sure the desktop has a desktop card, but the parts in it are several years old and I'm not sure what will play better! I am just curious :D  thanks guys

More about : computer play games

May 18, 2011 7:12:22 PM

The laptop will be better. Smaller screen and the GPU is almost as powerful as the 4850.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 7:12:55 PM

The second machine is the best due to cpu and ram, the graphics is still a good choice there. Overall you already decided on resolution so go for it.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 18, 2011 7:15:40 PM

wolfram23 said:
The laptop will be better. Smaller screen and the GPU is almost as powerful as the 4850.


Where is the 6770m compared to desktop cards? You said a little under par of the 4850. My 4850 is a watered down version than most, however, its only 512 mb and is a lot smaller. I bought it so it can fit in my tower so I dont know graphically how it compares to the 6770m.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 7:32:41 PM

The CPU in your desktop is the real issue and generally insufficient for high frame rates on a lot of current games. To answer your question the HD6770m lies somewhere between the HD5670 and your HD4850 in terms of desktop cards but the difference in resolution/cpu between the two systems makes that comparison kind of meaningless. The laptop should be much better for gaming than the desktop overall.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 7:49:12 PM

jyjjy said:
The CPU in your desktop is the real issue and generally insufficient for high frame rates on a lot of current games. To answer your question the HD6770m lies somewhere between the HD5670 and your HD4850 in terms of desktop cards but the difference in resolution/cpu between the two systems makes that comparison kind of meaningless. The laptop should be much better for gaming than the desktop overall.


Thank you, and what about the screen for gaming? Its lower resolution, does that mean the picture wont look as nice on a higher resolution? I really dont know much about graphics :lol: 

Edit: Also if this cpu is such a bottleneck can it be replaced with something newer? I updated my gpu with a 4850 might do it again beginning of next year as well as a new cpu.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 9:26:47 PM

I searched everywhere but still haven't found an answer to my last post please help! Thanks
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 9:30:23 PM

apav said:
Thank you, and what about the screen for gaming? Its lower resolution, does that mean the picture wont look as nice on a higher resolution? I really dont know much about graphics :lol: 

Edit: Also if this cpu is such a bottleneck can it be replaced with something newer? I updated my gpu with a 4850 might do it again beginning of next year as well as a new cpu.


Yes but support depends on your current board. If it supports AM3 era cpus like the Phenom 2 x4 ect you will notice a nice bump in performance in many games and applications.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 9:32:16 PM

There's 2 things to consider with resolution. First of all, it represents the amount of pixels on your monitor. Generally speaking, higher resolution allows you to visually see more in the game. This does not affect image quality.

The second thing is screen size. If you have the same amount of pixels in two different sized monitors, then the smaller monitor will have a better image because the pixels have to be smaller to fit in that area - so there's a higher pixel density.

As for you desktop, you might consider an overhaul. Upgrade to a Phenom II X4 CPU, 4 to 6 gigs RAM, a 64 bit OS, and a new GPU.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 9:36:27 PM

wolfram23 said:
There's 2 things to consider with resolution. First of all, it represents the amount of pixels on your monitor. Generally speaking, higher resolution allows you to visually see more in the game. This does not affect image quality.

The second thing is screen size. If you have the same amount of pixels in two different sized monitors, then the smaller monitor will have a better image because the pixels have to be smaller to fit in that area - so there's a higher pixel density.

As for you desktop, you might consider an overhaul. Upgrade to a Phenom II X4 CPU, 4 to 6 gigs RAM, a 64 bit OS, and a new GPU.


Why only stop at 4 or 6gb when going to 8gb might be economical if the expectation of extending the life of the machine several years before a whole new machine is built/purchased?
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 9:53:54 PM

Bit interesting comparing those two. First one has a video card similar to the 5850's on the market. 2nd one has a video card that was a replacement of the lower-end 5770 video card, but also has lower resolution.
Both have slower cpus then what is on the market...but...for example: i'm playing with a very OLD x2 4000+ cpu, 4mb of memory, and a 5830 video card. My weak link is the cpu. Most games i can play fine though (1680x1080 resolution).

Just do an experiment...run the game on both systems and see which one looks/performs better..
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:24:03 PM

nforce4max said:
Why only stop at 4 or 6gb when going to 8gb might be economical if the expectation of extending the life of the machine several years before a whole new machine is built/purchased?


Well it all depends. I wouldn't invest in 8gb DDR2, but if he's got 3gb then it might be worthwhile to buy another 3gb for 6 total. I have 8gb and as a gamer I never use that much. Tops I've used is around 5gb.

m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:26:51 PM

Hey guys sorry for the late replies! Thanks for all the help, what do you need to know about my computer specs to see if my processor is replaceable? I know I have a Pegratron Corp Viola mobo..
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:28:14 PM

I have 3x1gb DDR2 in my system.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:32:40 PM

wolfram23 said:
Well it all depends. I wouldn't invest in 8gb DDR2, but if he's got 3gb then it might be worthwhile to buy another 3gb for 6 total. I have 8gb and as a gamer I never use that much. Tops I've used is around 5gb.


2GB (2x1GB) + 1GB(2x512mb) in dual channel mode is common
Best upgrade path on the cheap 2gb(2x1gb) + 2gb(2x1gb) or 2gb(2x1gb) +4gb(2x2gb)

AM2 is only dual channel with either 2 modules or 4 rather than tri channel of 1356. 8gb can carry a system fairly a long ways in the years to come as the system ages with the expectation that apps do not max out the cpu but have increasing memory foot print. As for usage I have gone down to as low as 1.2gb in my system with 8gb installed. If the machine isn't meant to last no more than two or three years then 4 to 6gb is enough and cheap vs a new machine. Average useful life of a typical machine is 4 to 6 years while up to a decade in unusual cases.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:34:51 PM

apav said:
I have 3x1gb DDR2 in my system.


Not the best configuration for your system performance wise. If you want to be a tight pocket then get one more 1gb stick of the same rating as the other modules installed or buy a 2 or 4gb two module kit and pull the lone stick in the half filled channel.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:36:11 PM

computertech82 said:
Bit interesting comparing those two. First one has a video card similar to the 5850's on the market. 2nd one has a video card that was a replacement of the lower-end 5770 video card, but also has lower resolution.
Both have slower cpus then what is on the market...but...for example: i'm playing with a very OLD x2 4000+ cpu, 4mb of memory, and a 5830 video card. My weak link is the cpu. Most games i can play fine though (1680x1080 resolution).

Just do an experiment...run the game on both systems and see which one looks/performs better..


I'd like to why you consider an i7 2630QM to be "slower than what is on the market" I think its the fastest lower end i7 model out there.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:39:07 PM

nforce4max said:
Not the best configuration for your system performance wise. If you want to be a tight pocket then get one more 1gb stick of the same rating as the other modules installed or buy a 2 or 4gb two module kit and pull the lone stick in the half filled channel.


What would be the better option for lasting value? I'm guessing the one stick would be cheaper.

Also how can you tell if my Phenom Quad core is upgradeable? I might post on a different forum if this isn't the right place.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:42:01 PM

nforce4max said:
2GB (2x1GB) + 1GB(2x512mb) in dual channel mode is common
Best upgrade path on the cheap 2gb(2x1gb) + 2gb(2x1gb) or 2gb(2x1gb) +4gb(2x2gb)

AM2 is only dual channel with either 2 modules or 4 rather than tri channel of 1356. 8gb can carry a system fairly a long ways in the years to come as the system ages with the expectation that apps do not max out the cpu but have increasing memory foot print. As for usage I have gone down to as low as 1.2gb in my system with 8gb installed. If the machine isn't meant to last no more than two or three years then 4 to 6gb is enough and cheap vs a new machine. Average useful life of a typical machine is 4 to 6 years while up to a decade in unusual cases.


Thanks for this! Yes I bought my PC in 2006, and I upgraded my gpu to the 4850 and a my power supply to a 600w one in 2008. Maybe it is time for a new one.. Or maybe if I upgrade the cpu and ram now, and the gpu next year I'll be good. Decisions decisions.. :??: 
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:46:23 PM

apav said:
Thanks for this! Yes I bought my PC in 2006, and I upgraded my gpu to the 4850 and a my power supply to a 600w one in 2008. Maybe it is time for a new one.. Or maybe if I upgrade the cpu and ram now, and the gpu next year I'll be good. Decisions decisions.. :??: 


First you need to find out if your board supports AM3 era cpus at all or by a bios update for better support. As for ram you can do that now at very little cost. If you only want to go to 4gb then go buy one more 1gb stick. Research before you make any purchases ok. ;) 
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:47:25 PM

You need your motherboard model to know what the compatible CPUs are. Easy enough to see, just pop open your case and find the big letters/numbers.

Also since you have 3 1gb sticks, I'm with nforce on either getting 1 more stick or two 2gb sticks. Either way is fine, but if you go over 4gb you will need a 64 bit OS like Win 7 64bit which is around $100.
m
0
l
May 18, 2011 10:49:47 PM

Oh guys, I completely missed out on that. I'm sorry if this changes anything but I'm using a 64 bit OS. Didn't read that before sorry!
m
0
l
May 19, 2011 2:01:35 AM

Upgrade that desktop!

It's got a lot of life in it.

Replace the CPU. Phenoms are cheap now. Just find out what is compatible with your motherboard.

The 4850 is better than a 6770M and gaming at 1366*768 sucks compared to 1650*1080. A 4850 will play most games at medium or higher at that resolution. Since most titles are console ports now, there's actually very few games that will challenge it (Metro, BFBC2 and the like benefit from a better card. Any of the COD titles will be owned by a 4850 at your resolution).

If your still not satisfied than upgrade the GPU (A gtx 460 or 6850 is cheap now and either will dominate at 1650).
m
0
l
!