Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Static in Speakers When Motion on Screen

Last response: in Components
Share
October 22, 2011 6:01:54 PM

Problem description: Earlier this week I completely rebuilt my computer (mobo, CPU, vid card, RAM) and did a fresh install of Windows 7 (64 bit). I'm using the on-board input jacks (ASUS P8Z68-LX), and now there's some feedback/static coming from the speakers at all times. When there is motion on the screen, any at all, including animations on post icons/avatars, moving the mouse, using the mouse wheel, etc, the feedback gets worse - it's like I can "hear" the motion through the speakers. I tested it with Team Fortress 2 and the speakers were making a constant sound, like hearing an idling chainsaw from sort of far away. However, the actual sounds all come out perfectly clean from all 5 speakers. MP3s sound great, and the actual music/sound effects/etc from games sound good as well.

One somewhat related problem/issue. If I turn off the 'speaker fill' option in the RealTek drivers, I only get sound from the 2 front speakers. No idea why that is.


My speakers have been acting up on me for a while, ever since ~Aug 2010 when I installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. It started off with the center speaker giving a weird "artifacty" sound when it played anything, like everything was a really low quality MP3. The speakers sounded great on XP, when the RealTek software would let me re-map *all* of the input jacks on the old motherboard (nVidia 680LT).

I bought a dedicated sound card (crappy one from Best Buy), thinking it had something to do with the input jacks being FUBAR, and then any time my computer turned on or off, the speakers made a series of popping noises in rapid succession, almost like an automatic rifle. I would also get some weird feedback through my center speaker.

I bought *another* sound card (from Siig), thinking that the problem with the other card was because Best Buy is terrible. On this one, the speakers made a loud pop on power-up, and a sound not unlike the sound effects for lasers on cheap sci-fi movies on powering down.

Attempted fixes: Uninstalling/re-installing drivers, using 2 different dedicated sound cards (after uninstalling the drivers and disabling the on-board audio on the mobo), replacing the motherboard/CPU/RAM/Vid card, formatting and reinstalling Windows 7.

Recent changes: The only change when the problem *started* was the OS and installing a new solid state drive. Since then I've replaced:
Sound card(s)
Power Supply
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Video Card

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

System specs:
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V LX - BIOS version 0602.
Processor - Intel Core i5 2500k (still running at stock speed)
Video card - EVGA Geforce 560TI
RAM - Corsair Vengeance - 2x4 GB
Drives - 1x Intel SSD - 80 GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1 TB, 1x WD Caviar 500 GB
Power Supply - Antec 550W
Speakers - Altec Lansing ADA995
Case - Cooler Master Centurion 534+
October 22, 2011 6:19:57 PM

Well from the sounds of it (no pun intended) both the discrete soundcards were junk.
Your current mobo has a superior onboard audio chip.RealtekĀ® ALC887
Did you install one of those cards on your new board?
m
0
l
October 23, 2011 1:18:14 AM

I have not tried installing either of the cards on my new motherboard. Just finished the build yesterday.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 23, 2011 3:22:28 AM

heisenberg84 said:
I have not tried installing either of the cards on my new motherboard. Just finished the build yesterday.

Good you don't need those cards.
Do you have any wireless gear near your speakers?
They cause symptoms like you've described.
If so try moving them away from your gear.
Phones included..
m
0
l
October 23, 2011 5:02:39 AM

My router is by the subwoofer, but I turned it off and waited a few minutes. Same problem. Also took any phones and moved them to another room. No dice.
m
0
l
October 23, 2011 5:29:29 AM

heisenberg84 said:
My router is by the subwoofer, but I turned it off and waited a few minutes. Same problem. Also took any phones and moved them to another room. No dice.

Try different ports for your usb devices =mainly your mouse.
Double check your monitor cables.
Possibly a bad cable somewhere or not fully making a connection.
Check them out and some cables touching or tangled with others like main power cables can cause issues.
I run/isolate all main power cables from others on my pc and home audio gear.
If none of this works a solution might be an Asus DG soundcard(no worries it's good/cheap/has WIN7 support)
m
0
l
October 23, 2011 3:03:48 PM

I tried plugging the mouse into a different USB port (one that's not directly on-card). No dice. tried unplugging the mouse's power supply directly. No dice. Unplugged both monitors and moved the mouse around. Still getting the problem.

It's not in the speakers, though - just tested them on my Wife's computer, that's actually using an older version of the on-board audio (ALC880). None of this feedback. So, it's something with my set-up.

Just a note, the feedback is coming from all 5 speakers, not just the ones close to other cables.
m
0
l
October 23, 2011 5:43:55 PM

heisenberg84 said:
I tried plugging the mouse into a different USB port (one that's not directly on-card). No dice. tried unplugging the mouse's power supply directly. No dice. Unplugged both monitors and moved the mouse around. Still getting the problem.

It's not in the speakers, though - just tested them on my Wife's computer, that's actually using an older version of the on-board audio (ALC880). None of this feedback. So, it's something with my set-up.

Just a note, the feedback is coming from all 5 speakers, not just the ones close to other cables.

Go to Asus site and download latest audio drivers Realtek Audio Driver V5.10.0.6402/2011.09.07
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...
If you still have issues i would buy a good budget soundcard like the Asus DG =much better then onboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=56330&vpn=XONAR%20DG&m...
Pretty much buy this card anywhere for $30 or less.
If you do end up having to sort out the onboard with a card.
Mount the card in your bottom pci slot to isolate it.
m
0
l
October 23, 2011 5:50:02 PM

That's the driver I have on there - still having issues.

I've also ruled out anything environmental. Took my computer and plugged it in at my wife's desk using all of her peripherals, same noise. When I plug my speakers into her computer, no noise.

It's maddening!
m
0
l
October 23, 2011 5:53:36 PM

heisenberg84 said:
That's the driver I have on there - still having issues.

I've also ruled out anything environmental. Took my computer and plugged it in at my wife's desk using all of her peripherals, same noise. When I plug my speakers into her computer, no noise.

It's maddening!

That suck's bro and hardly worth the effort for repair/rma/etc.
Looks like a card might be your only solution.

m
0
l
!