haratsos

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Hello guys

I own a 2 year old pc: cpu phenom II X4 with VENOM cooler, 2 x ATI 4890 graphics, 4 x 2GB Geil RAM, MSI 790FX-GD90 motherboard

It has been working fine untill yesterday when i realised that i had not applied thermal paste properly in the past resulting in air bubbles and my cpu overheating. So i opened it and cleaned cpu with alcohol and applied thermal paste (artic silver mx3) properly without using too much (a pea size was enough).

When i assembled it back together i assured that all power cables were connected (and all other cables hard disks usb etc).

But when i try to boot i get 3 red light on my graphics card and led display on motherboard says 'FF'. I know that red lights mean no power goes to graphics card and FF means that cpu is not initialising.

I have tried everything, booting with only 1 slot of ram, 2 slots, no ram at all, tried removing the motherboard battery, tried resetting bios or CMOS button on my motherboard but nothing happens.

I am suspecting that this problem is caused by some sort of power issue with the cpu. But when i was cleaning it there were no bent pins on cpu and i dont see how the VENOM cooler could affect the system in any way since i have installed it a year ago and it was working fine.

Please help i am getting desperate! :p thnx.

jimbobimbo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011

Be sure you remove and reseat any and all cards plugged into the motherboard, especially the video card. May be a bad connection there if a card was bumped during your work with the processor.

haratsos

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Thank you all guys for replying!

I think i got rid of all the old artic silver from the top side of cpu (the one in contact with cooler). Is there a chance that paste has gone to the sides of cpu touching circuit boards and preventing the cpu from working?