Need help Identifing my Motherboard + heating issue

tyler212

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I'm trying to get an old computer up and running and I found the correct Motherboard to match the one that was in it. But it seems I bought one that is one revision after the one I had.

img55897.jpg

It's a Dell Dimension E520 Desktop, and the only Identifying marks on it is this.
0714022116.jpg

I haven't been able to find it to get a 100% right match. Then I need to figure out how to install the driver onto a Hard drive that has no working motherboard.

With a 45 degree rotated socket! Actually, since the dell boards have custom standoff mounting positions it ensures that a standard ATX/mATX board can't safely be used. I'm guessing the OP got a replacement off ebay.

tyler212

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Yes I got a replacement off ebay, I mostly guessed by typing in the model of the pc and used the look of the old one to determine wither it looked quite right.

Why does dell have to be difficult like that and get custom stuff.

Hi fellow Tyler :hello: :) Anyway, it's basically so you can't easily upgrade. OEM's don't really want you to be able to upgrade much, and especially the mobo.

At least what you're trying to do is replace original with original.

tyler212

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks for all the information. So I guess I should not worry about the model and focus more on getting the right driver. All I wanted to do was to see what I wanted to keep off the old hard drive.

Do you guys think I should get one of those Dell restore disk for drivers?

I would think that the ones for that system off of the Dell site should be ok (assuming that it's anywhere close to the same board).

Or, possibly do a search to see what system the new board came in originally and download them from that system's support page.

tyler212

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Well my problem is that the old motherboard won't work, as I I plug everything in hit power and nothing happens, every 5th time or so when I plug the power cord into the power supply I hear the fan spin but then nothing else. So I can't run it. Now when I plug everything into the new board it sounds like it turns on but nothing appears in screen. I'm assuming it's a driver problem as the old one was Revision A01 and the new one is Revision A02, or a Bios problem but I'm quite new to messing with the inside of a computer.

If nothing comes on the screen at all (no DELL logo even) it's not a driver issue. Drivers are only relevant to what happens once the O/S is loaded.

If your goal is to get info off the original hard drive in that dell, you could just use an adapter to connect is via USB to another working computer.

Do you mean the new board boots into Windows (sounds and all besides video)? If not, it couldn't be a driver problem because it's not even getting to Windows. Drivers would only affect things once you booted into Windows. It actually DOES sound like a BIOS issue (or that the new board is actually faulty too).

Try clearing the CMOS to see if that helps.

tyler212

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Well now I believe this computer just does not want to work. While I first set up the new motherboard I did not plug in my speakers so after you suggested if I heard it I quickly re-setup everything. Turn it on and it beeps at me a few times then shuts off.

I quickly make sure everything is plug in correctly, check connections with the hard drives, and take a look at the Sata cable connecting the hard drive with the OS and I notice there's a bit of plastic stuck in it, it was that part connecting the metal connecters to the hard drive.

Thanks for all your help, but it looks like I might as well not even try.

tyler212

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I don't know what I did, but managed to get it to load up to the dell logo but then it shuts down. It's saying It's shutting down due to a thermal issue but I don't know why I have the heatsink on and a fan that should keep it cool enough.