Sign in with
Your question

P9X79 slow to POST

Last response: in Motherboards
July 18, 2012 6:16:46 PM

I've had my new build for a couple of months now, and the machine is not as fast to boot as I have heard others experience. Once I get to the Windows screen, it's plenty fast. The problem is the time it takes to hear the POST beep. After the computer starts up or gets to the beginning of a reset, it takes 10-20 seconds to POST. I have the UEFI/BIOS logo shut off. Once it posts, it only takes a couple seconds to see the Windows boot logo, and then a few more seconds to get into Windows.

My system is an Intel 3630K with 64 GB of RAM, an MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GB card, Vertex 3 128GB SSD boot drive, a Blu-ray writer, three SATA hard drives, and a second 120GB Adata SSD. From what I can remember, everything is plugged into the Intel-controller SATA connectors (the two SSDs are connected to the SATA3 connectors). I also have a Hitachi Touro 2.5TB external drive connected.

I also have the on-board audio disabled and am using an Asus Xonar DGX PCI-E sound card (slow post was a problem before this).

I am using a Thermaltake Dokker case, which has a SATA dock on the top, which is plugged into one of the SATA ports. However, the one time I tested the dock, I could not get it to function. I wonder if this is slowing things down and if I should disconnect it.

Anyhow, has anyone else experienced slow POSTs with the P9X79?

More about : p9x79 slow post

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 18, 2012 7:33:17 PM

If you load up your system with a lot of peripherals and in particular a lot of RAM then at posting time for memory training takes longer. 64GB of RAM takes longer than 4GB or 16GB to post.

If you're not having any issues once in your OS then you've got nothing to worry about.

Regarding the dock, unless you have that SATA port as (AHCI or RAID) "Hot Plug" Enabled then do not 'insert' any drive if the PC is 'on' it can cause an assortment of problems otherwise.
m
l
July 18, 2012 7:54:05 PM

Okay, so it's because I have a ton of RAM. That makes sense. The screen before POST is black, so I had no indication as to what the system was doing and could not see the memory checking like I could on my old Pentium 4 system.

I'll check my SATA port settings. I think they are all set to AHCI. I am not sure if I can change the setting of individual ports. Thanks for the info.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 11:37:30 AM

Also if you have a RAM Disk that saves the data to your SSD it takes longer to both shutdown and startup; it's a small price for the speed it offers. On my X79 it adds a good 10~20 seconds particularly to the shutdown.

Defiantly, on an SATA Dock you need to add the "Hot Plug" Enabled; I use that too on many of our PC's and otherwise you can corrupt the drive and data if you remove/insert drive while the PC is on.

You should also double-check the RAM using Memtest86+, 64GB takes a l-o-n-g time to check so plan that test overnight. In my case I test & code SQL plus I use the RAM Disk so I periodically run Memtest every couple of months.

If you have any problems then just let me know and good luck & enjoy that awesome rig.
m
l
!