CMOS Checksum bad

mike101

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hi, so I am getting a CMOS checksum bad error.

specs:
Mobo: MSI 870-G45
CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition - 6 cores
RAM: Mushkin enhanced silverline stiletto 4x4GB DDR3-1333
GPU: XFX RADEON 6950 2GB
750w PSU

What i've done:
Replaced the cmos battery
Swap out video cards, reinstall drivers
Tried running with 1 stick of ram
Unlugged e-sata from the sata-6 port (something that came with my case)
I have tried all the BIOS settings, still same thing

What is really weird is that even though I get this checksum error, the time and date do not change.
But, it seems not to save any other settings which I make in the BIOS.

Another observation, when I remove sticks of ram..
Lets say I had 16gb to start, this will give me the cmos bad error, here is what i did; Turn off pc, remove 8gb of ram, turn on pc. Then it will boot up normally with no checksum bad error. But if I restart then I will get the checksum bad error.
Same thing happened when I only had it running on 1 stick of 4gb ram, first boot will be fine, then if I restart the checksum bad error is back.

Even though I have this cmos checksum bad error, I can press F2 to load default settings and continue, and my computer will work just fine.. heck I'm on it right now. I havn't gotten any BSODs, but at times my video card driver will randomly crash (only when im playing a game). I believe this may be due to the fact that my BIOS isn't saving any values besides the date and time

If anyone has any suggestions, please post, I am looking forward to your responses on my problem :))

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Did you clear the CMOS in the motherboard by adjusting the jumpers?

mike101

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Forgot to mention, yes I have also tried that, it will clear the CMOS, like I'll have to set the date and time, but after that I'm back to square one, it still resets everything else but keeps the date and time.