Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do 6850 cards really crash?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 18, 2011 8:25:37 PM

I wanna buy MSI Ati R6850-PM2D1GD5/OC HD6850 1GB 256Bit GDDR5 but on the forum some claim that they had crash issues with 6850's: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304618-33-crash-issue...

Is this really true? I'm not tech pro, so if you clarify that, I'll be glad.

More about : 6850 cards crash

May 18, 2011 8:38:54 PM

It can happen to any card. Sometimes it's user error but sometimes the card is just defective.

It's still a pretty sweet card, and no matter what if you end up with some bad luck and get a defective one, you can exchange it for a new one. It's a bit of a pain in the butt/waste of time, but at least you're covered.
m
l

Best solution

May 18, 2011 8:42:47 PM

f451 said:
I wanna buy MSI Ati R6850-PM2D1GD5/OC HD6850 1GB 256Bit GDDR5 but on the forum some claim that they had crash issues with 6850's: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304618-33-crash-issue...

Is this really true? I'm not tech pro, so if you clarify that, I'll be glad.

Well, technically any hardware can crash your system. They're probably referring to game crashes when a GPU is worked hard and the game and/or system crashes. This is most likely attributed to a driver issue, but some cards have overheating issues or they just don't perform well because of manufacturing flaws.

Some folks will tell you that Ati/AMD has the worst drivers. I can tell you I've experienced crashes with any number of drivers, and I've seen where a WHQL certified driver has caused widespread issues with ALL the cards for that driver (nVidia and Ati).

If there are too many claims of crashes, then its probably a product to stay away from. Most cards will have a certain percentage of reported game crashes, but for the most part you shouldn't have too many problems as long as you keep you drivers updated.
Related resources
May 18, 2011 8:44:50 PM

A lot of the maps I've downloaded from the internet can cause my games to crash. Sometimes its a software flaw..And as mentioned before, sometimes its just plain old operator error.
m
l
May 28, 2011 5:22:49 AM

Best answer selected by f451.
m
l
May 28, 2011 8:16:36 AM

it can also be just an incompatability between parts. Also many people that report crashes in a game automatically blame the vid card when it could be any one of their other components. For example a video card may have some corrupt data handed to it and windows may report "display device failed" or something similar when it may not be the cause of the issue.
m
l
!