Sign in with
Your question

Faulty Ram?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
July 18, 2012 10:54:46 PM

I just put my PC together a few days ago. Installed Windows 7 64 bit and was on my way. A day or two later I had my first BSOD. Then a couple hours later I had a second, followed by a third and a fifth. After some troubleshooting I decided it best to re-install the OS and do away with my problems. Everything ran perfectly up until about an hour ago. I got two more BSOD that cited Memory Management. I ran MemTest86 and was immediately bombarded by hundreds of errors. Just to rule out all the possibilities I changed slots and tried again. Needless to say I found the same results. To my knowledge I ran the test correctly, and it was infact the RAM that was causing me heartache. The memory was ordered alongside the rest of my pc from newegg; Is it really all that common to be shipped Faulty Ram?

MB: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Can I assume I've found the real cause of my problems? I'm fairly certain I ran MemTest86 correctly. I've never purchased a faulty stick of ram before, so is it correct to assume this a rare occurrence.

Thanks,
PetTheCats.

More about : faulty ram

July 18, 2012 11:09:15 PM

Having BSODs and memtest failing are both consistent with bad RAM. Do you have any compatible RAM from a previous computer that you can verify with? Either way, I am fairly certain this is enough evidence for Corsair to issue an RMA.
m
l
July 18, 2012 11:12:33 PM

if memtest86 is showing errors then your memory is faulty.

bad components I guess are rare, out of the ~30 computers i've built for friends or family 2 of them had bad memory. remember just because its new doesn't mean its good. purchasing all your components at the same time from the same retailer is irrelevant.
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2012 11:22:34 PM

Chairman Ray said:
Having BSODs and memtest failing are both consistent with bad RAM. Do you have any compatible RAM from a previous computer that you can verify with? Either way, I am fairly certain this is enough evidence for Corsair to issue an RMA.

Unfortunately any spare Memory I have is designed for much older MotherBoards. Due to my impatience I suppose i'll just ask for the refund and pick up some new Memory at a local Best Buy. Is there any brand/kind you might recommend?
m
l
a c 150 } Memory
July 18, 2012 11:23:51 PM

Yep as said above any memtest errors at all mean a problem. First thing to do is try the other RAM slots on your board to rule out a faulty motherboard. Then run memtest on each stick one at a time to isolate the bad one. Once you have done this you have proven that you indeed have a bad stick and it's not some other problem then you can RMA it.

Make sure the RAM is configured correctly in BIOS as well. 1.5v DDR3 1600 cas 9-9-9-24 2T.
m
l
a c 150 } Memory
July 18, 2012 11:26:33 PM

PetTheCats said:
Unfortunately any spare Memory I have is designed for much older MotherBoards. Due to my impatience I suppose i'll just ask for the refund and pick up some new Memory at a local Best Buy. Is there any brand/kind you might recommend?

Did you buy from newegg by chance? If so they will allow you to return the defective RAM after you receive the new stuff if you give them a credit card number.

Don't buy from any big box unless you like paying double. Microcenter is an exception if you are lucky enough to live close to one.
m
l
!