Do I need to change my Thermal Paste when upgrading my Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZxRaveNxZ

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I have replaced and upgraded my old processor about 1-2 months ago, and I want to upgrade my motherboard at this moment (And buying an upgrade from 2gb to 8gb Memory when buying this MoBo). I wanted to ask people who are more experienced with upgrading and computer hardware. Thanks for replying and helping me out.

Solution

Not really a waste. It doesn't matter if you reapplied new paste yesterday, you always need to thoroughly clean and reapply after you take off the HSF for any reason.

The reason is microscopic air bubbles that are created when you reseat without reapplying. We see enough people around here that try to reuse even one day old paste that have TERRIBLE temps afterwards.

glit123

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
So you're using the stock heatsink? If there already is thermal paste on the processor and heatsink then i suppose if you dont remove any of it you should be good.

kshitijmd

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Yeah just be careful not to let any foreign bodies get in the thermal paste.
The best course would be to clean the old paste off and apply a new layer, but since you just did that about a month or two ago, that'd be a waste.

Not really a waste. It doesn't matter if you reapplied new paste yesterday, you always need to thoroughly clean and reapply after you take off the HSF for any reason.

The reason is microscopic air bubbles that are created when you reseat without reapplying. We see enough people around here that try to reuse even one day old paste that have TERRIBLE temps afterwards.

Solution

ZxRaveNxZ

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
So are you saying that when changing my motherboard, I'm going to need new thermalpaste for my processor? Seeing that I have no fans in my case [Getting a different case soon] The CPU has a chance to overheat?

Yes. It has nothing to do with the fans or ventilation available, it's all down to what I just explained about the thermal paste being "disturbed" and creating the air bubbles that WILL cause higher temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.