Sign in with
Your question

PSU DOA?! passed paper clip test...

Last response: in Components
October 22, 2011 11:49:56 PM

I bought a Corsair 750w power supply from Newegg a few weeks ago. Installed the 1st one, the pc booted up and worked normally, but after the second restart the PSU blew. Now i have my new one, thanks to neweggs RMA... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I installed it normally. The only problem was the damn molex connectors! The pins kept falling out and i accidentally bent one with pliers! Anyways, I plugged it all in, turned on the power supply, and finally pressed the "on" button on my PC. NOTHING. The 2 little red lights, on my case, turned on for about half a second and thats it! No noises at all. So I put my old 550w back in and it works...except the top fan and the all the lights now. Some of the little fan/light wires started smoking and melting so I just unplugged them. Would this be the reason why the new PSU wouldn't start?

After I took the PSU out i did that paperclip twest and IT WORKED!! The PSU fan was spinning perfectly.

Any Help plz?
thanks

a c 275 ) Power supply
October 23, 2011 1:35:58 AM

The fans and light wires that started smoking may indicate that there was a short in them so when they got power way too much current was flowing through their wires. The 750 TX V2 has short circuit protection so if it went to start and sensed a short it would shut itself off automatically, your 550 W might not have and thats why the wires started smoking. Try with just the PSU plugged into the motherboard and GPU, no drives or fans and see if it seems to start up, then start adding more components, but stay clear of the fans that started smoking, they should now be thrown in the trash.
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2011 1:45:08 AM

hunter315 said:
The fans and light wires that started smoking may indicate that there was a short in them so when they got power way too much current was flowing through their wires. The 750 TX V2 has short circuit protection so if it went to start and sensed a short it would shut itself off automatically, your 550 W might not have and thats why the wires started smoking. Try with just the PSU plugged into the motherboard and GPU, no drives or fans and see if it seems to start up, then start adding more components, but stay clear of the fans that started smoking, they should now be thrown in the trash.

Well It had to have been that molex connected that i messed up then right? because all of the molex pins eventually came out of the little white plastic housing. Maybe I put them back in and connected it backwards or something? Or could it just be that bent/broken molex pin? Thanks for the reply
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 23, 2011 10:57:10 AM

what order did you replace them in?
left to right is yellow black black red (normally)
Moto
m
l
!