Upgrading HD 4890 Crossfire, $500 Budget

hazza31b

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Hello,
I am looking at upgrading next month my current HD4890 crossfire setup to something else. I would prefer another crossfire setup that will old me over for another year or 2, if a single gpu will do this ill be happy with that to.

My system specs are
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.8Ghz
8Gb DDR2 RAM
Win 7 64bit
2 x HD4890
900W Great Wall PSU

Thanks

From personal experience I suggest that you avoid dual gpu cards unless you know how to cope with any problems that come with such cards. If it is something that you really want then go ahead but I wouldn't recommend it to any one unless for certain situations.

6950 crossfire for raw bang for buck

bodmanza

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

this.

If you are lucky enough to live in an area where PC enthusiasts are not aplenty (as I am), you may be able to find some local reference 6950's and flash them to be 6970's (as I did).

Just have to wait for my three monitors to get here :sol:

hazza31b

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I think i may just buy a single 2Gb 6970 and then when i can afford it get a second. Will the 6970 still out perform my 2 4890's and will it give me good performance at max settings in game

It should in most games as the issues of scaling are no longer present. Plus you can overclock the card when it is needed and you will gain back some of the cost of the card in utility savings every month over your two 4890.

A couple notes about the 68xx and 69xx cards. The 69xx had some architecture changes and as a result, have better tessellation and AA performance that the 68xx did not get. It also seems that I see a lot more people with poor crossfire experiences with the 68xx cards, which I do not know why (or it could be just be some sort of coincidence).

As far as the reference cards vs. non-reference cards go; while you may not be able to flash the bios of a 6970 on to the non-reference 6950's, you can unlock the shaders and OC them to the same performance, and have much better cooling, but be careful, they don't have a dual bios switch with a read only bios.

If you don't like to get under the hood of your computer, and by your last statement, I assume that fits your personality, then ya, that's not a bad choice. Although I would personally just get a 6950 instead, but I'm willing to unlock the shaders and overclock them, which I am not sure you'd want to do that.

A reference 6970 is a safe card as it includes a mid plate that cools both power vrm and vram while a separate but attacked cooler provides cooling for the gpu. The heat is exhausted out the case rather than many of the non reference cards that dump the heat in the case. The only problems that are common to reference cards is the thermal pads may not be properly be applied during assembly lead to high temps of one or more phases but this isn't to common or at least not enough for to many complaints. Beyond that is noise. I trust reference cards more than I do cards that have non reference cooling as far as ati cards are concerned.

I'll show you.

6970Cooler.jpg

5870-6970.jpg

radeon-6970_cowl-removed.jpg

17793-6970_back_super.jpg

Latest posts