My memory doesnt feel right....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman2462

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I'm not 100% sure that it is my memory that's the problem but I got 16GB of 2400 MHz ram and have it installed in my brand new machine and it is counted as compatible with my motherboard so there's no problem with compatibility but when I went into bios it was default set at 1600 MHz, I thought nothing of it and put it up to 2400 MHz but it really seems no different. My brother has 16GB of 1600 MHz ram and his system seems to be running smoother, like I don't have Photoshop but I know that takes a long time to boot and his boots up instantly whereas it takes a while even for my steam to open. So I D/L a few programs that check CPU and memory etc. and it said it was running at 1200MHz seeing as that was exactly half, I decided to do a test, so I put the ram down to 1600 and checked the program and it was 800. Something seems fishy. Also before you ask yes I am running 64bit and my motherboard can take up to 2800MHz RAM

Solution
*sigh* do you know what DDR stand for? Double Data Rate. the reason why it is being read at 1200MHz is because 1200x2=2400. 800x2=1600. you double the detected speed of the RAM unless the program automatically doubles the detected speed for newbies. but really, you should know what something is before buying it. what shocks me even more is that the two people above me trying to help don't even know this.

as for slower performance, computers never do things the exact speed as the last time. when i'm booting Windows XP it takes sometimes 8 seconds and sometimes 14. that goes for programs too. that, plus the fact you think your RAM isn't running at the proper speed will trick yourself into thinking your computer is running slower than...

FireHazerdz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
your ram is running in dual channel mode so it's being detected at at half what it actually is(at least that's what I've heard). Also for your computer not seeming to noice a difference between 1600 and 2400 I don't think it makes a huge difference except for benchmarking. Not sure why it seems slower than your brothers

Im-MaTRiiX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hey! You computer will downclock the RAM MHz once it feels like it is not needed or you're motherboard will not be supported by this RAM. Also PC's speed is not "Faster"with more RAM in it, all more RAM means is that it can handle more programs running at the same time. Also try downloading CPU-Z it is a very reliable program to check the speed for you.

-MaTRiiX

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
*sigh* do you know what DDR stand for? Double Data Rate. the reason why it is being read at 1200MHz is because 1200x2=2400. 800x2=1600. you double the detected speed of the RAM unless the program automatically doubles the detected speed for newbies. but really, you should know what something is before buying it. what shocks me even more is that the two people above me trying to help don't even know this.

as for slower performance, computers never do things the exact speed as the last time. when i'm booting Windows XP it takes sometimes 8 seconds and sometimes 14. that goes for programs too. that, plus the fact you think your RAM isn't running at the proper speed will trick yourself into thinking your computer is running slower than your brothers. Plus, it's next to impossible to notice a difference between 1600MHz RAM and 2400MHz RAM, unless you are using software that takes full advantage over RAM speed and for iGPUs, such as when you are overclocking Intel's HD4000. and in benchmarks of course.

Solution

Pieman2462

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Thanks dude, I know what you mean by it's probably in my head but I think I found the problem. I recently bought a fan controller so I can get my triple rad water cooling to shut the *** up and when I was doing cable management to get my side-panel back on I un-plugged the fan controller so only the pump was going and no fans. I had headphones on so I didn't realize, I think my CPU was getting a little too hot but the pump was still keeping it at stable-ish temperatures, 60 degrees Celsius. But with the fans going it goes to 19 Celsius. It seems to be running way better now. I think it may have been in my head a little bit as well ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS