Card recommendation and "Interfaces for Dummies" needed

zekekelso

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Now
BUDGET RANGE: <$100

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Internet browsing, Flight Sim 2004

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Motherboard's“ Intel® G965 Express Chipset”; Antec 380W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: ASUS P5B-VM SE Motherboard, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Nope

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: ??

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680 x 1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Older system... not looking for anything fancy. Just want to drop $75-ish into the system to see if I can't get better graphics for light gaming.

I'd love somebody to just tell me “go buy this card”. But I'd also like a quick tutorial on video card interfaces.

According to my manual, I've got one “ PCIe x16” slot. Thinking I knew what I was doing (always a bad assumption) I ordered from newegg: HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161315). What arrived was a card with an “AGP” interface, that clearly wasn't going to fit in my system. Newegg took it back.

Can something be AGP and “PCI Express 2.0” or are those contradictory things? What specification should I be looking for when ordering a card?

Andy help much appreciated,

Those two are contradictory.

That's actually a pretty good card for light gaming, and certainly much better than the integrated graphics you have now.

I'm surprised that NewEgg would make a mistake like that. They've been excellent with all of my orders.

I'd either order the same thing again, or order the same GPU but a different brand.