How important is QVL?

DataSnake

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I am planning on getting a BioStar a770e3 and 8gb (2x4) of gskill Ripjaws DDR3-1333, but that particular RAM isn't on the mobo's QVL. Reviews on newegg say it works on a gigabyte board with the same NB and SB chipsets, if that helps. My question is, will it work? I'm willing to tweak the timings in BIOS if necessary, but that wouldn't be doable if it refused to boot at all.

Solution
The QVL list is the memory that the motherboard manufacturer has sat down, tested, and knows will work perfectly at the manufacturer settings, something important to note though is that a kit not being present on the QVL does not indicate it wont work, it may indicate that its more recent than the last QVL update, or it was similar enough to another kit that the manufacturer didnt test it, or they just ran out of time and figured that they had enough done for people who were picky about the QVL to have plenty of options.

Its rather unlikely that you will find a DDR3 kit that wont work with a board, and if you do have an issue Gskill is good with RMAs, the first one is always given, second one they have you chat with a tech first.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

DataSnake

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
It was recommended by NewEgg's "memory finder". The QVL doesn't list it, and GSkill's website only says it works with AMD 790 and 890 chipsets, even though it has been documented working with other 770s and is on the QVL for the A870.

If newegg says it is compatible, you have a good case if you need to return it.

I would compare the specs with a kit that G.skil DOES say is compatible.

The QVL list is the memory that the motherboard manufacturer has sat down, tested, and knows will work perfectly at the manufacturer settings, something important to note though is that a kit not being present on the QVL does not indicate it wont work, it may indicate that its more recent than the last QVL update, or it was similar enough to another kit that the manufacturer didnt test it, or they just ran out of time and figured that they had enough done for people who were picky about the QVL to have plenty of options.

Its rather unlikely that you will find a DDR3 kit that wont work with a board, and if you do have an issue Gskill is good with RMAs, the first one is always given, second one they have you chat with a tech first.

Solution