Sign in with
Your question

Wireless G to N -- Fewer Bars, but More Speed

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 6, 2011 12:33:33 AM

Got a new network setup recently and came across a weird situation.

Old Setup (wireless G): Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter and Linksys WRT-54G (v5) router
New Setup (wireless N): Linksys AE100 USB adapter and Linksys E2000 router

With the new hardware, I get about 1 or 2 bars lower reception on my PC. Windows classifies it generally as a "Fair" connection as opposed to the previous "Very Good" connection. I am, however, seeing connection speeds of no less than 100 Mbps. I was previously limited to 54 Mbps on the wireless G setup. Speedtest.net shows no real difference in the internet connection speed (which makes sense).

So, I suppose my question is whether or not I did myself any good with the new hardware. Thoughts?

More about : wireless fewer bars speed

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 6, 2011 8:06:42 AM

Neither measure can be relied on -- the only way is to do a specific sized download and time it.

I'm guessing that n has forced you on to a particular channel (is it 6 ?) which may not be the best frequency to suit your physical environment or may be being affected by neighbouring networks, thus the lower bars.
m
l
January 6, 2011 2:01:15 PM

Well your WAN (Wide Area Network) speed will almost always be slower than your LAN (Local Area Network) speed. So effectively, yes, upgrading the router and adapter did nothing to improve WAN speed, but it DID improve LAN speed (file sharing, video streaming, file transfers in your network, etc). The only way to improve WAN speed is to call up your ISP and pay for better speed.
m
l
!