Selling my old rig / Buying a new rig

dangerboyjtf2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hi there,
About 5 years ago I built a rig for $900 (CAD) and it's ran pretty nicely. I'd like to upgrade and I'm hoping to sell my old rig as a whole to put money towards my new rig. First off, how much money do you think I could get for my old rig?

Secondly, I've built my new rig on paper, would any of these parts be bottlenecking the system?

My old rig:
Specs:
CPU: 3.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
Video card: ATI HD 4850 512MB
RAM: 4 GB Mushkin (4x1GB sticks) @ 800mhz
Motherboard: P35 Asrock Twins 1600 - LGA 775 -6 RAM slots, 4xDDR2, 2xDDR3, 2xPCIE ( 1@16x , 1@4x ), 3xPCI slots, crossfire capable
Hard Drive: 250GB 7200RPM
Power Supply: 650 Watt Coolermaster
Optical Media: LG CD/DVD Reader/Writer
Case: Antec 900 Ultimate Gamers Case (comes with 1x120mm case fan, 4x80mm Blue LED fans)
Wireless card included (Linksys WRT54G) wireless G technology

Here is what I'd like to build for my new rig (I'm on a budget but I think it's not half bad):

MOBO $95 Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 Socket 1155 Intel Z68
CPU $215 Core i5 2500k,3.3Ghz Quad, 6MB L3 cache
RAM $36 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10666) 4GB (2x2GB)
HDD $40 Seagate Barracuda (ST3500413AS) 7200.12 SATA3 6.0Gb/s 500GB 16MB Cache
VIDEO $256 ZOTAC GeForce 560Ti 1GB
CASE $55 NZXT M59 w/ 500watt psu
PSU $0 (or $60 if I get 600 watt corsair rather than the 500w PSU that comes with the case)
OPTICAL $19 DVD/CD RW w/ lightscribe
CPU Cooler ~$50 (haven't decided on one yet)

Thanks!

EDIT: Yeah I forgot to post my new rig's specs first time around, lol.

Solution
well, you have a few options, you can either sell the computer as a whole, or scraps some of its parts to save up some money for your next rig, not much you can save though, perhaps the DVD reader and the HDD, if you want, the PSU.

if you sell it as a whole, you can sell a bit more than if you sell the parts individually, you'd be suprised to see how much people without the knowledge of computers or the motivation to learn will pay for a pre-build computer. for that old gaming computer, with a few advertising phrases and some sweet-talk about the consumers awesome experience after they purchased the computer, you can easily sell it for as high as 1700, if not higher!

if you want to know more about the advertising feel free to ask, if...

foverosiv

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
well, you have a few options, you can either sell the computer as a whole, or scraps some of its parts to save up some money for your next rig, not much you can save though, perhaps the DVD reader and the HDD, if you want, the PSU.

if you sell it as a whole, you can sell a bit more than if you sell the parts individually, you'd be suprised to see how much people without the knowledge of computers or the motivation to learn will pay for a pre-build computer. for that old gaming computer, with a few advertising phrases and some sweet-talk about the consumers awesome experience after they purchased the computer, you can easily sell it for as high as 1700, if not higher!

if you want to know more about the advertising feel free to ask, if you want to know more about your new rig, please post the specs

Edit: about your rig I've got a few things to say:
1.)where did you ever get the idea of getting a Zotac GPU?
2.)where is your CPU cooler? I'm assuming you are going to overclock since you got the K series
3.)The case you got, if I'm not mistaken only has 3 120mm fans, which might get quite hot considering you are overclocking and you are going to be gaming a bit.
4.)if you have the money, go for a seasonic PSU. but corsair is fine too.

Solution

dangerboyjtf2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

I did a lot of research into GPU's before I bought one and found that ZOTAC was just as trusted a brand as any other brand (maybe not the highest end one but certainly not junk), and ZOTAC had a good deal on the video card (it was actually $200 after IR + MIR) so i got it.

I didn't include the cooler into the price but I do plan on getting one. Guess I should throw it up there just so people know I plan on getting it.

I was also looking at some of the rigs on these forums and found a case I like even better, it also comes with a 500watt PSU, think that'd be enough? I checked on http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp with all my components and it only came to 526 so even if I go higher it shouldn't be a problem in theory..but I know PSU's in reality I may need more than that, correct?

dangerboyjtf2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

True, even if that's with 80% efficiency I should make sure I have more than enough shouldn't I, since a cheap PSU can kill your whole PC.

Thanks for the help Fover

Does anyone have any advice on the rest of the system/selling my old rig?