Rodmantis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hi everybody,

This is my first time "building" a PC (I'm actually going to pick the parts and somebody else is going to put it together).

I've read a lot of tom's hardware and I feel confident enough in picking the CPU and GPU, but I kinda need a bit of help with the other parts.
I'll use the PC for: Gaming (I want to run 1080p Crysis), Adobe Premiere (720p editing), Photoshop and Illustrator.

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: ATI 6950 2 GB (looking to try and unlock it to a 6970, if you think this is dumb would you recommend a 560 ti instead?).
RAM: 8 gb. (i don't know if I should get 1333 mhz or 1600 mhz).
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V (I want to take advantage of Quick Sync AND a dedicated GPU).
HDD: My vendor is suggesting I head two Raid-0 500 gb drives. I just found out what that is yesterday and most reviews say it's not worth it at all. I was initially planning on buying a regular HDD and add a SDD for start-up in the future.

Waiting on your comments, thank you :D

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
CPU - seems to be the accepted standard. Yes.
GPU - Unlocking it means flashing the BIOS, cooling would be a concern. The 560ti is good, but for me I'd get 2 6950 1GB in crossfire if possible.
Ram - little difference between 1333 and 1600, not unless you really think your rig needs every possible bit of performance is essential.
Mobo - Yes. There are better ones, but this is a good board.
HDD - If possible the SSD should use the OS and any other startup, then plumb for a seperate HDD. I don't see any real reason why someone should put 2 500gb drives in raid...

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
What power supply are you planning on?
How many monitors will you be using?
What case are you thinking about?

Remember that there are other things to consider when choosing parts. :)

Rodmantis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Power supply is going to be chosen around the final parts, and the case I'm thinking a NZXT phantom. Monitors I'm thinking 1 to start (1080p), and adding one in the future.