Sign in with
Your question

Advice on Quality Monitor Setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2011 3:41:05 AM

I am planning on building a desktop for gaming and wanted some advice for nice monitor setups that involve at least one 30" LCD (I've been looking at Dell's U3011). The two setups that I am considering are two 30" monitors (basic enough, would run fine with 2 GPU's in SLI) and one 30" with two full screen monitors on the sides in portrait (vertical?) alignment. I suppose the second setup would require another discrete GPU or configuring the third monitor to run off the motherboard.

Does anybody have experience with either of the two setups or can otherwise weigh in on my decision? In particular, does anybody know of quality 1600 X 1200 full screen monitors for the second setup?

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to your responses.

E: I realize this is the wrong category (in which category do monitors fit?)
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 12:12:27 PM

If you are using 2 30" monitors, you will most likely be using one for games and the other to display your desktop/other applications while gaming (otherwise the center of your screen is right in the split between the two monitors). I wouldn't suggest that this is a waste of money (it may be worth it to you) but consider a slightly smaller or less expensive display (doesnt HAVE to be the same size). For example, the Dell U2711 is also a very high res display and has very similar quality to the 30".

3 monitor option-- You could shoot for 2 of the U2711 and put them on the side of the 30". They wouldn't be vertical and would be a few inches smaller than the U3011, but the quality would be much better. At $8-900 a piece they are more expensive than a 2nd U3011, but if you're looking at a 30" in the first place you probably have some money to play with. Just a thought.

Take a look at the HP ZR30W. It has some significant limitations (1- no OSD so you use your graphics card utility to adjust color etc; you can't plug a non-computer source like an xbox or ps3 into it. 2- you can't rotate it into a portrait position). These issues didn't matter to me and the reviews on both indicate things like significantly lower input lag on the HP (partly because it doesn't have an OSD). The ZR30W is typically $1-200 less expensive than the U3011. BUT- keep an eye out for discounts at the dell store. About every 6 weeks or so they offer 25% off the U3011, which brings it down to less than $1,200 (the last one just expired 5/18).

May 20, 2011 12:10:39 AM

beltzy said:
If you are using 2 30" monitors, you will most likely be using one for games and the other to display your desktop/other applications while gaming (otherwise the center of your screen is right in the split between the two monitors). I wouldn't suggest that this is a waste of money (it may be worth it to you) but consider a slightly smaller or less expensive display (doesnt HAVE to be the same size). For example, the Dell U2711 is also a very high res display and has very similar quality to the 30".

3 monitor option-- You could shoot for 2 of the U2711 and put them on the side of the 30". They wouldn't be vertical and would be a few inches smaller than the U3011, but the quality would be much better. At $8-900 a piece they are more expensive than a 2nd U3011, but if you're looking at a 30" in the first place you probably have some money to play with. Just a thought.

Take a look at the HP ZR30W. It has some significant limitations (1- no OSD so you use your graphics card utility to adjust color etc; you can't plug a non-computer source like an xbox or ps3 into it. 2- you can't rotate it into a portrait position). These issues didn't matter to me and the reviews on both indicate things like significantly lower input lag on the HP (partly because it doesn't have an OSD). The ZR30W is typically $1-200 less expensive than the U3011. BUT- keep an eye out for discounts at the dell store. About every 6 weeks or so they offer 25% off the U3011, which brings it down to less than $1,200 (the last one just expired 5/18).

Thanks for the information, really appreciate it! While you have good points on the 2 30" setups / U2711 wings, I think there's something to be said about the aesthetics of having matched monitor sizes :p  The U2711's may also make the viewing experience quite... long. Not sure if I can take in all that horizontal visual input.

Does anybody have suggestions on 1600 X 1200 full screen monitors that would fit the dimensions of the U3011?

Thanks again :) 
Related resources
May 21, 2011 6:30:49 AM

Still on the lookout for 1600 X 1200 monitors! Any suggestions?
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
May 21, 2011 6:51:51 AM

1600 x 1200 resolution monitors are quite rare these days. They are mainly geared towards graphics professionals and can cost almost $1,000. If you pick the "right" on it will cost you 2x more than a Dell U3011.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

May 21, 2011 6:55:04 AM

jaguarskx said:
1600 x 1200 resolution monitors are quite rare these days. They are mainly geared towards graphics professionals and can cost almost $1,000. If you pick the "right" on it will cost you 2x more than a Dell U3011.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Oof, that's ridiculous. Leaning towards the dual U3011 build right now...
!