Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 fails to POST

heavyarmoire

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Hey, I'm not an avid poster here but I'm trying to learn more about how computers run, and I'm trying to upgrade my system. Sadly I have a problem that I can't seem to place my finger on.

I dunno if there's an official way to post this, but I'll post what I think would help:
Motherboard: M2n sli deluxe
CPU: AMD Athalon 64 x2 2.2ghz
GPU: geforce 7600 gs silent in sli
RAM: 3gigs

BIOS: Phoenix...? v6.00pg
650w power supply

I started playing games again on my computer and decided to upgrade my graphics card. I found a Radeon HD 5770 for a decent price on newegg, bought it and got it in the mail.
I found a RAM stick I thought I lost, and put that in. 3 gigs total now. That works fine.
I put in the new card in and my computer wouldn't go to POST. I took the stick of ram out, put the GPUs back in, works fine. Put the new ram in with old cards, works fine. New card doesn't work with old or new RAM setup. Tried both PCI-E slots.
Found out it needed a 6 pin connector thingie. I plugged that in and still no go.
I bought a new power supply, 680w, still no go. I was assured by my local computer dudes that the power supply was the problem, and normally I don't have a problem with that but it seemed fishy.
New supply in, tried all the setups with the same results. I figured it was a faulty card, so I RMA'd it back to Newegg.

New card still doesn't work in any setup.

Now I'm wondering what the common problems would be. Nvidia software is installed, could that be it? Could I have messed something up (like on the mobo) that works fine with lower power consuming cards but not higher ones? I was told a ton of possible problems with the usual "bring it in we'll check it out overnight."

Now I'm wondering what the enlightened would say about it... lol
I think it's pretty unlikely I got two broke cards in a row, but it's possible.
I dunno i'm out of things to say, this is frusturating. I read that the motherboard might be having issues, because the card "has problems with older boards," but I haven't seen anything more than rumors on that.

I dunno, what do you think?

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
With your old card in, uninstall the drivers using the NVidia/AMD/ATI utility. After, run "Driver Sweeper" (available to download for free) to clean out any remaining drivers.

If your new card isn't working at all, it's probably a brick (defect). Return it and get a new one throught the RMA process!