Power Outage

flipboi15

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Mods if my thread is not in the right section please move it, this was the closest section I could think of. lol

Specs:
MSI gd70 motherboard
amd x4 phenom 955 BE
ripjaws 2 x 2gb
OCZ powerstream 520W PSU
sapphire xtreme radeon hd5850

ok so there was a power outage and unfortunately i didnt have a surge protector. I turned on my computer and I heard the windows sound but I get no signal from the monitor.

ok so first of all when i tried to boot the windows 7 boot disk, i switched PCI E slots and windows ran with no problems and windows even detected that my GPU was corrupted and it reinstalled the driver automatically getting me to restart my pc, so yes i thought everything was fine restarted and drivers were working, great! but then when I took my computer back to its usual monitor it did not receive signal either....

Oh yeah.
my tv - HDMI cable (works)
my monitor - DVI (does not work)

I am typing with my laptop with the monitor attached to it so the monitor is fine.

I really dont know what it could be other than the DVI cable or the GPU's DVI slot got fried? what happened and what should i do ?

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Try connecting the monitor to another PC, or connect another monitor to your PC. If this doesn't solve the issue then the cheapest, and easiest solution would be to pick up a new DVI cable (fairly cheap ~ $5). If the issue is still present then all points to the vid being down. Pick up an UPS, or surge protector ASAP to prevent this from happening again (recommend the UPS though).

flipboi15

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Thanks for the reply and im sorry if i am a bit late, I am busy with my studies.
NCIX has offered me to take my machine to them and have them look at it. I don't think the DVI port works on my computer. Well when I use a VGA cable and a DVI adapter with it and plug it into my video card, it works. But if I use a DVI cable and plug it into the DVI port, it does not work. HDMI works, but not DVI. I have a strong feeling that they would RMA it for me because the DVI port works with a vga-to-dvi adapter. I also noticed that when I play games (Just Cause 2, Crysis 2), I get lots of lag even on minimal visual settings. My system is new, so im thinking its my video card, but could the power outage have damaged any other hardware ? Thanks guys.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
It is possible other parts may have been damaged, The most common ones damaged in order are: PSU (especially if you have an ElCheapo), Motherboard/Vid/HDD (directly connected to the PSU, if the vid has power from the PSU), CPU/RAM (since their power is filtered by the MB). Since you are able to get past POST, we know the MB/CPU/HDD/RAM are all good. So you may also be having a power issue (PSU damaged, or out of spec now). The only real way to test this is a voltage tester (others here may know where to get one near you).

flipboi15

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

Thanks for the reply, well I don't think they RMA for power outage damages, but theres no proof that it was damaged from a power outage since HDMI and the VGA to DVI works, just not directly DVI.

What else could I say to the computer store, specfically NCIX, so they would exchange it for me ?