Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Mobo won't recognize old storage hard drive

Last response: in Motherboards
July 19, 2012 8:36:11 AM

So I've been searching for hours for someone who had a problem like me, but I couldn't find anything, so this is the first time I've ever posted in a computer forum.
Ok, so my old motherboard died and I bought a replacement on Newegg. I just swapped all my old parts over and surprisingly it worked (I've read that you often need to reinstall windows). So my primary hard drive works, but my secondary hard drive where I just store things doesn't show up anymore. It doesn't show up in windows and it doesn't show up when I look in my Bios. I made sure that it wasn't the cables because i used ones that I was sure worked (they were working with my DVD drive). I can't really think of anything other than it may be dead :(  , but I don't know what would have killed it as all I did was switch motherboards and it was working perfectly fine before that.
Thanks for your Time!
a c 329 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 9:17:15 AM

You should reinstall windows, this could be one of the problems.

It may corrupt the HDD files as well.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 9:17:26 AM

Is it W7?
Score
Related resources
a c 329 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 9:18:14 AM

Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

Score
a c 223 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 4:17:03 PM

What is the make and model of the old motherboard?

What is the make and model of the new motherboard?

What is the make and model of the problem hard disk drive?
Score
July 19, 2012 7:47:37 PM

Yeah it's Windows 7 64 bit. When I started it up the first time it said it couldn't start and I needed to run windows repair so I did and it started working.
If the Bios doesn't recognize it why would it help to reinstall windows?
If the mother board is new shouldn't it already be at factory settings?
What could corrupt the HDD files?

I think the problem is either with the motherboard or the HDD because the bios won't recognize the HDD as being plugged in. Does the current installation of windows have some effect on the motherboard bios?

New Motherboard:
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Old Motherboard:
MSI NF750-G55 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Trouble HDD:
Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Score
a c 223 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 7:55:18 PM

If the HDD isn't detected in the BIOS there's no way that Windows 7 can do anything about it.

Is the HDD receiving power (i.e. is it spinning)?
Score
July 19, 2012 7:57:32 PM

It's hard to tell, is there any way to tel without taking it out of the case?
Score
a c 223 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 8:06:42 PM

If you have a stethoscope you can listen for noise from the rotating spindle of the HDD.

If you don't have a stethoscope then try to use an empty cardboard tube from a paper towel roll, hold it against the HDD and listen for any noise.
Score
July 19, 2012 8:24:02 PM

Ok so I used a cardboard tube and I'm 95% sure it's not spinning.
Score
a c 223 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 8:28:52 PM

Well if the SATA power cable is plugged into the HDD and it's not spinning then you have a problem.

Have you tried a different SATA power connector from the power supply?
Score
July 19, 2012 8:30:51 PM

Yeah I used the one that works for the DVD drive and it doesn't do anything. Is there a different type of power cable that I can use?
It just seems odd to me that this would just happen to happen when I changed motherboards. Do I just have really bad luck?
Score
July 19, 2012 8:39:03 PM

I just noticed this what looks like red rust or something eating away at the chip. I cleaned the computer out using compressed air could that kind of damage be from getting too cold? The red is on other parts of the chip too.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/photo0052v.jpg...
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 8:57:52 PM

If u place your finger on the HDD, is it warm to touch? U can feel vibrations too, if it is spinning.

Score
July 19, 2012 9:08:50 PM

Since it's not my primary hard drive would it even be running unless I tried to move something from it?
Score
July 19, 2012 9:19:28 PM

Also, the Motherboard was an Open Box. Could the person who owned it before me have done something to make it so I couldn't run more that one hard drive?
Score
July 19, 2012 9:26:04 PM

Ok guys, I plugged my HDD into another person's computer and it ran right away. So it's got to be the motherboard right?
Score
a c 223 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 9:44:39 PM

Nubfish said:
Also, the Motherboard was an Open Box. Could the person who owned it before me have done something to make it so I couldn't run more that one hard drive?

Maybe that's why the motherboard was returned by the previous buyer?
Score
July 19, 2012 9:48:44 PM

So I plugged in just the power and and it ran on my comp, but when I plug in the sata and the power it doesn't run
Score
a c 223 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 9:51:26 PM

Nubfish said:
So I plugged in just the power and and it ran on my comp, but when I plug in the sata and the power it doesn't run

If the HDD spins up then there is a problem introduced by connecting the SATA data cable from the motherboard to the HDD.

So it has to be the motherboard.

Have you also tried a different SATA data cable?
Score
July 19, 2012 10:03:58 PM

I have tried 3 different SATA cables. What should I do to try and fix the compatibility with the motherboard? update the bios and drivers?
Also, should I be worried about that corrosion on my PCB on the HDD? I need the data on it, so should I get a new hard drive and back it up sometime soon?
Score
a c 223 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 10:07:19 PM

Nubfish said:
I have tried 3 different SATA cables. What should I do to try and fix the compatibility with the motherboard? update the bios and drivers?
Also, should I be worried about that corrosion on my PCB on the HDD? I need the data on it, so should I get a new hard drive and back it up sometime soon?

Have you tried each of the SATA ports on the motherboard? Do you get the same result with all of the SATA ports?
Score
July 19, 2012 10:14:56 PM

I just tried my friends hdd in the same port same sata cable and power cable and it worked, so it's definitely some kind of compatibility issue with my HDD and my motherboard.
Score

Best solution

a c 223 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
July 19, 2012 11:17:27 PM

Nubfish said:
I just tried my friends hdd in the same port same sata cable and power cable and it worked, so it's definitely some kind of compatibility issue with my HDD and my motherboard.

Contact Seagate and ask them if they have a solution to your particular problem.
August 16, 2012 7:11:30 PM

Best answer selected by nubfish.
Score
August 16, 2012 7:12:02 PM

It seems it was just some sort of compatibility issue, I had to return my MOBO and buy another one before it would work.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
August 19, 2012 9:00:06 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!