Is computer building tricky?

ForbiddenReaper

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I have my components sorted out and will order them when I have the cash but I was on youtube looking for tutorials on how to build computers and it all looks easy until I see the part When you are connecting all the cables to each components from the PSU. Is it as hard as it looks?

No it isn’t that hard. In lot of cases the plugs can't be plugged in anywhere else the only thing that even leads to a little confusion is the plug ins for the case like power, reset, hard drive light but a good case and looking at the manual for the board will make it a lot easier. Just take your time and it will all come together.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Computer building is not as tricky as it used to be. We used to have to set jumpers on the motherboards according to the type of cpu, the voltages and the speeds. Now it is all handled by the BIOS.

Plugging all of your drives into SATA cables is a little bit easier too.

There are still misc. plugs to go on the motherboard such as front panel switches and LED's, USB ports, sound. And motherboard plugs can be a bit tricky.

Building a PC is pretty easy but there is some attention to detail required. Plug the wrong cable in the wrong place and you can fry a motherboard. Motherboard plugs are usually keyed so they don't go in wrong unless you force them, but it pays to spend a little time with a flashlight looking at the motherboard plugs and the power supply plugs to make sure you don't do something backwards.

Installing the cpu cooler is usually one of the trickiest parts, getting the motherboard into place in the case and getting the back panel connections aligned can be tricky just because there isn't usually much room to work in there.

When you get your components go through a dress rehearsal to see that you know where everything goes and how the cables should be oriented. If anything isn't real clear then this is the time to ask further questions, before you plug in the power.

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I agree with what the two users above had stated. It's not hard at all. I was in the same boots as you about a month ago when I built my first computer. I was nervous really nervous but when it came down to it, I actually had a lot of fun!

The main things I think you should focus on as this is your first build are these:
How to apply thermal paste (if your are going to that is)
what you need to plug into the motherboard (the manual can be really helpful in showing you where certain sockets are).

All I can say is, don't be nervous. It's not hard at all and it's a load of fun! You probably wanna build another PC when you done with your current one. I know I do, I just ain't got the money to do it :p

dangerboyjtf2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
The key to putting everything together in your case is patience. Yes it can take some time, but hopefully you have fun while doing it. Make sure you don't rush it, because if you do you can mess up your hardware or make a mistake that is hard to find later on once everything is in. Do it right the first time.

I was nervous about the cabling (LED's,Mobo,etc.) but I just followed the manual and it wasn't too bad.

anonnymous

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I built my first computer like 2 months ago it was fairly easy. I watched a 3 part video on youtube by Newegg. Make sure you read and follow your manual and be gentle with your parts don't force anything in. I think it took me about 3 or 4 hours but it was fun and i learned a lot. Goodluck with your build.

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
No it's not difficult. My suggestion: research, research, research. There are a huge number of videos, tutorials, and very detailed guides on how to do everything concerned with building a PC. If you are hesitant about it at all, do your research and make sure you know step-by-step how to put together a PC.

Then when it comes to your specific build, read quickly through your component manuals (mostly just the motherboard, and maybe aftermarket heatsink) and then go to work. The first build will take a bit longer than you might expect and you may have to redo things several times to get it right... however when you are complete it is very rewarding.

As well, don't get too discouraged if your build is complete and you have a few errors or problems with it. Most builds have a certain level of troubleshooting in them and easy mistakes can still happen to the most seasoned pro's. But theres no sense in getting discouraged/frustrated because you installed your heatsink wrong and have to clean/reapply the thermal paste... or something similar :).

Good Luck!

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
It looks daunting at first only because of inexperience. I know I was nervous as heck when I first did research on it and I've done a lot into it. I just completed my rig now and I started it around the beginning of June! Only because I was constantly yanking things out, putting them back in, redoing the wiring, etc. I also recently decided to install 2 green LED light rods into the case. This is also my first build. But now I'm very happy with it and will be shooting pics of it to display in the gallery.

Just remember to take your time to look things over (components, manuals, etc) and be familiar with them. I know I had all the manuals within reach when assembling my build as I know I will forget something. As previously stated by others be patient and don't rush things. It helps to mentally plan your wiring also as it can get messy quick if not thought out. Everything should be easy to plug in and require little to no force. You should never need excessive force to plug things in.

I also did the number one thing (I think) I shouldn't have done. I assembled everything on a carpeted floor... :p But then I made sure I was constantly grounding myself before/while touching or handling any of the components.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

LOL. That's one of the mistakes I made when I noticed high temps with my build. But as always, someone here helped me out of that dilemma... :D