Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What went wrong ~

Last response: in Motherboards
July 19, 2012 11:25:13 AM

so i was building my PC for the first time in my life each and every single part bargained from dealers ,

and with the help of youtube and tom's hardware ofcourse .

*** happened and the " me " who was new did not know that the pins in the processor socket should have been handled with UTMOST CARE. ....

it was a P8Z77-V Deluxe , final condition is 2 bent pins (side ways ) and 1 pin tip ( the extreme tip) broken ? ( not sure if its bent or broken its so minute ...

it has been just less den a week since i bought it ..i have passed it today to ASUS service centre , the dealer already informed me that , i fucked up and nothing can be done about the board .

i would be glad to hear this bad news confirmed here on tom's. :( 

and my main problem now ,

i went with my old mother board for the following build

PHZ68AP-D3 Gigabyte Mobo ( Old ) (Rev 1.0)
Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
i7 3770 - K ( Ivy Bridge )
Corsair H100
Force 750 PSU
CM 690 II Advanced Nvidia Edition Case
Intel 120GB 330 series

so first when i finished building the pc with my old mobo , i had to update the bios to a version that said ( compatiblity for ivy bridge ) and than install the i7 3770K

i installed windows 8 , things go fine and PC gets stuck randomly time to time and blue screen ( windows 8 BSoD)

with " CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" , i thought it was windows 8 and went back to windows 7 , now i sometime play games even for hours , but than i still randomly face the problem where the PC freezes , no errors just freeze i have to hard mode power shut the PC and restart .

my guesses at this stage are that my mobo isnt working properly with the ivy bridge processor .

i need help to make sure what is causing this ..

SORRY FOR THE BIG POST , i just wanted to make things clear so people can help me :) 

thank you.

More about : wrong

a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 1:04:23 PM

Warranties don't cover you breaking your hardware, sorry. No company would take an RMA with bent pins in the socket. Obvious to them that it was a case of user error.

As far as the bluescreen goes, I'm not sure. Could be a driver issue. Did you install the latest drivers from the web, or the ones that came on the disc with the video card? The ones that ship with the card are pretty much always out of date, and you should never use them unless you don't have internet access when you do the install.
Score
July 19, 2012 2:04:39 PM

i got a reply from ASUS service centre ( United Arab Emirates , Dubai )

Repair costs : 40 $

Shipping to china : 190$ L0L

Total : 230 $

Original Price of Mobo : 330$

Max Time Frame : 60 days ! XD

and i need to know a way to analyze what cause the crash please any ideas ?

Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 2:09:48 PM

I would not be using windows 8 at this time, stick with 7. The first 6-8 months of a new OS release for Microsoft is the Beta period! But they won't admit it...
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 3:02:18 PM

dingo07 said:
I would not be using windows 8 at this time, stick with 7. The first 6-8 months of a new OS release for Microsoft is the Beta period! But they won't admit it...

Bullshit.

Used Win7 from day one and it was totally fine. Vista was a different story, and the problem was largely a result of hardware makers not updating their drivers.
Score
July 19, 2012 3:08:06 PM

so i need help to check what is causing those hangs , so i can do something about it, iam not particulary wwell informed abot " crash dump" e.t.c. .... i just no the terms ....i know this is in the wrong section to be asking this , but the reason iam doing this is , i am guessing the problem is from mother board.
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 3:19:46 PM

willard said:
Bullshit.

Used Win7 from day one and it was totally fine. Vista was a different story, and the problem was largely a result of hardware makers not updating their drivers.

You obviously don't know what "tongue-in-cheek" is, nor do you have a sense of humor...
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 3:50:03 PM

dingo07 said:
You obviously don't know what "tongue-in-cheek" is, nor do you have a sense of humor...

Don't give bad advice, regardless of whether or not you think it's funny. If you want to give good advice and be snarky about it, by all means do so. Just don't hide behind the guise of humor so you can bash a company for something that's simply not true.

To the OP, I'd recommend calling Gigabyte and asking their help desk for support. They may be able to tell you how to fix it.
Score
July 19, 2012 6:31:03 PM

thank you willard , ill wait for a better reply for 24 H , if no one seems to come up with better solution , yours will be the best answer so far.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 221 V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 6:50:47 PM

Have you checked the Windows System Event Log for any Error events that may give you an idea of what may be causing the lockup?

What is a Force 750 PSU (i.e. what is its brand)?
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 7:26:43 PM

@Willard- How is using a better operating system wrong advice???

@Windsymphony - the best suggestion anyone can give you at this point is to try a fresh new install of Windows 7. I bet you have no issues then.
Score
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 474 V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 8:03:56 PM

to the op...did you flip the new cpu over after you say the bent pins on the mb. the broken pin may be in the cpu or the cpu has bent pins...or been shorted. check that you flashed your mb bios in order and with the right flash file. and flash any other updates to the mb bios. the ib chip memory controler is not the same as sb. use cpu-z and see what the cpu and mb have set your ram speed and timing up as..use the spd tab to see the ram speed that it can run.. (want to use the xmp profile).
with windows make sure you used the right os..for more then 4g of ram you want the 64 bit os. windows 8 if installed on your hd or ssd should make two partions..the system partion and the data one..also check that your mb bios sata port were set to achi and you have all your sata drives on the intel ports not any third party ports. (make sure after you install windows 8 you install the intel chipset drivers for windows 8. if your using onboard video there windows 8 drivers for it also use windows 8 sata drivers. not the ones from the mb. also if you have 4 dimms try removing two and see if the errors change or stop. you could have a bad dimm.
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 8:10:52 PM

dingo07 said:
@Willard- How is using a better operating system wrong advice???

What I took offense to was the statement that it is unwise to use new operating systems because they are effectively beta for six months. This is simply not true.

@Windsymphony - the best suggestion anyone can give you at this point is to try a fresh new install of Windows 7. I bet you have no issues then. said:
@Windsymphony - the best suggestion anyone can give you at this point is to try a fresh new install of Windows 7. I bet you have no issues then.

Very unlikely that will fix the problem. A very similar issue was present across two installs of two totally different versions of Windows. In all likelihood, the issue causing the Win8 bluescreen is also causing the Win7 lockup, and that issue is probably related to the motherboard and its firmware in some way.

Also, OS reinstalls should be a last resort, not "meh, I don't know what the problem is so try wiping your entire computer clean because I'm out of ideas."
Score
July 20, 2012 9:36:10 AM

guys i don't really think its the OS that causing the problems , as you can see that windows 8 , reported me a problem but windows 7 just hangs up and doesn't report me anything ..and i did google " CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" and it said drivers problems e.t.c , but my guess the info online was not accurate it was already vague in the first place .

and ko888,

this processor is new i did not use the one i used b4 and broke the new mother board which i sent for repair.

and the MOBO is old one which did not have any problems physical/software? with my old set up . ..

and now i flashe bios from the first to last directly ...so idk about the order and thing ...

for example , my bios version was F1 and b4 buying the Ivy processor, with my old setup PC before breaking down the PC , i updated from F1 to F7 version which said it supports IVY bridge processors ...

so now tell me should i hav egone BIOS version one by one ? .....that sounds werid to me , thank you
Score
July 20, 2012 9:36:36 AM

i did check event log but not able to pinpoint the one even that caused the problem
Score
a c 102 Ĉ ASUS
a c 217 V Motherboard
July 20, 2012 10:22:33 AM

dingo07 said:

Back in the day, people in the IT field used to mutter the mantra "Everything before SP3 is a beta". It's arguable that things have gotten better but MS now takes longer to get those service packs out so SP1 seems to take as long as SP3 used to. NT4 from SP3 on was excellent yet it required 3 more SP's.....Win2k had its headaches, XP post SP2 was great, Vista is best forgotten completely, Win 7 was pretty good on most machines but offered no compelling reason to move on from XP, most businesses waited till SP1 and XP remained the most used OS for years after Win7 came out.
Score
July 20, 2012 11:34:07 AM

people dont even remember windows millenium :p 
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2012 12:22:07 PM

windsymphony said:
people dont even remember windows millenium :p 

We try not to, at least. Those were dark days.
Score

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 221 V Motherboard
July 20, 2012 4:54:42 PM

windsymphony said:
guys i don't really think its the OS that causing the problems , as you can see that windows 8 , reported me a problem but windows 7 just hangs up and doesn't report me anything ..and i did google " CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" and it said drivers problems e.t.c , but my guess the info online was not accurate it was already vague in the first place .

and ko888,

this processor is new i did not use the one i used b4 and broke the new mother board which i sent for repair.

and the MOBO is old one which did not have any problems physical/software? with my old set up . ..

and now i flashe bios from the first to last directly ...so idk about the order and thing ...

for example , my bios version was F1 and b4 buying the Ivy processor, with my old setup PC before breaking down the PC , i updated from F1 to F7 version which said it supports IVY bridge processors ...

so now tell me should i hav egone BIOS version one by one ? .....that sounds werid to me , thank you

Each BIOS version contains all of the updates that were made in all of the previous BIOS versions so there is no need to apply each and every BIOS version since your original BIOS version that came with your motherboard.
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 474 V Motherboard
July 20, 2012 5:10:58 PM

not true from asus tech rep..each bios file does not have the older code or patches..the rep told me always flash a bios in order as each updates only changes the code to fix one bug fix that listed in the bios patch notes. to the op i would put your old cpu back in and start from f1..f2..f3..f4..then stop at the last bios.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 221 V Motherboard
July 20, 2012 5:26:19 PM

What that ASUS Tech Rep said isn't even plausible.

Did you not notice that the binary ROM file that gets flashed to the BIOS ROM chip is always the same size?

The complete BIOS is overwritten when you flash the BIOS chip. If the latest BIOS version didn't contain all of the previous fixes
then those previous fixes would be lost with each later BIOS version.
Score
July 22, 2012 7:34:29 AM

Best answer selected by windsymphony.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 22, 2012 7:40:53 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!