RAM overclock fails without reason

Hi,
Today i set up my build (I didnt get the HDD and case yet). In BIOS i set my ram frequency, timing and voltage as it should be (2133Mhz, CL11, 1.6V). after i reset my PC, The RAM LED (I have Sabertooth Z77) lights up, meaning that the overclock failed. I restored to the default settings and everything was fine.
Why the OC fails? Must i overclock the ram in the OS?
14 answers Last reply
More about overclock fails reason
  1. Why?! Most likely a bad setting or SB CPU. Assuming an XMP set:
    BIOS:
    F5 ; Load Defaults
    AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP with Profile 1
    CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
    VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v ; sets like Ares requires 1.25v which is past the safe limit of 1.20v
    F10 ; Save & Exit = Yes

Q - What CPU?
    Q - What exact set of RAM? ; please provide a link.
  2. The IB CPU can handle that Frequency. Try the settings I posted above and make sure the RAM is installed in the (light tan slots); CPU: | blank | 4GB | blank | 4GB |

Edit/ You might need to update your BIOS.
    4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 1866/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
  3. It still doesn't work :/
  4. I edited above about the BIOS version; BIOS version 1206 or 1304 -
    Use ASUS EZ Flash 2 - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash

BIOS:
    F5 ; Load Defaults
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.60v
    VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v ; sets like Ares requires 1.25v which is past the safe limit of 1.20v
    F10 ; Save & Exit = Yes

RAM Specs:
    CAS Latency 11-11-11-30-2N
    Capacity 8GB (4GB x2)
    Speed DDR3-2133 (PC3 17000)
    Test Voltage 1.50 ~ 1.60 Volts
  5. I updated the BIOS and set everything as you said- and it doesnt work!
  6. Last try:

BIOS:
    F5 ; Load Defaults
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.65v
    VCCSA Voltage -> 1.25v ; sets like Ares requires 1.25v which is past the safe limit of 1.20v
    F10 ; Save & Exit = Yes

RAM Specs:
    Capacity 8GB (4GB x2)
  7. jaquith said:
    Last try:

BIOS:
    F5 ; Load Defaults
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.65v
    VCCSA Voltage -> 1.25v ; sets like Ares requires 1.25v which is past the safe limit of 1.20v
    F10 ; Save & Exit = Yes

RAM Specs:
    Capacity 8GB (4GB x2)

I even tried the last settings- and the "failure" LED still litghs up! even if i try 1800Mhz it doesn't work. It has so much voltage (1.65V) and relatively high timings so it doesn't make any sense.
    Maybe i should change other settings that you didn't mention yet?
    Or it may be a bad RAM? (or MOBO?)
  8. I also am assuming 2x4GB and not (2) two sets for 4x4GB. Frankly, I do not like the supported CAS Timing for 800MHz (DDR3-1600) and IMO if the following fails the return the kit for something else. If the kit cannot work @ 1.65v/1.25v then return it and go no further with your voltage.

BIOS:
    F5 ; Load Defaults
    AI Overclock Tuner -> Auto
    DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600
    DRAM Timing Control /Enter
    DRAM CAS -> 9
    DRAM RAS to CAS -> 9
    DRAM RAS PRE -> 9
    DRAM RAS ACT -> 27
    DRAM Command Mode -> 2

DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v
    VCCSA Voltage -> 1.10v
    F10 ; Save & Exit = Yes

F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL CPU-z
  9. I figured out what is the problem.
    if i load the safe settings everything works fine of course. But when i only raise the voltage or frequency (and maybe other settings that i didn't try)- it fails... Do you have any idea why it happens?
  10. Let me put it this way, if simply using F5 (Load Optimized Defaults) = fail then you've got a problem.

My understanding is you don't have an OS installed yet -- "(I didnt get the HDD and case yet)" If you're seeing something to the effect "Press F1 ... OC Failed" that's typically the RAM especially IF: 1. F5 was saved, 2. No CPU OC. Once in a while 'Auto' misreads the RAM's JEDEC encoded settings -- the fix is either setting the RAM manually <or> using XMP.

Since both failed my assumption is bad RAM; especially IF BIOS version 1206 or 1304 is installed.
  11. Further, DDR3-1600 CAS 11 on 4GB/stick density is bad. Let's try the per JEDEC 800MHz settings:

BIOS:
    F5 ; Load Defaults
    AI Overclock Tuner -> Auto
    DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600
    DRAM Timing Control /Enter
    DRAM CAS -> 11
    DRAM RAS to CAS -> 11
    DRAM RAS PRE -> 11
    DRAM RAS ACT -> 30
    DRAM Command Mode -> 1 ; failure try 2

DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v
    VCCSA Voltage -> 1.10v
    F10 ; Save & Exit = Yes
  12. I don't get any message like "Press F1 ... OC Failed". The DRAM LED just lights up and nothing appears on the screen... Do you think it might be a bad mobo?
  13. super300 said:
    The RAM LED (I have Sabertooth Z77) lights up, meaning that the overclock failed

Rereading, that's your meaning. The DRAM LED 'lighting-up' means the BIOS detected an error in the RAM and not visa versa.

I assume you have another PC, if it has DDR3 RAM then borrow (1) stick to post.

CPU: | blank | DDR3 | blank | blank |
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking RAM