Sign in with
Your question

Ivy Bridge Graphics Prowess

Last response: in CPUs
October 23, 2011 10:34:33 AM

Hi, will build either a new desktop or buy myself a laptop in the first part of next year around the time Ivy Bridge makes its appearance. As many of you did too, I waited for BD but was similarly disappointed so Intel it will be.

I have a question: GPU wise, how huge step-up from Sandy will IB prove to be? I use a computer for everything, but gaming...use Photoshop a lot for webdesign and I use stock trading software often, too.

Would IB be the first cpu chip that allows me to pass by on a dedicated graphics card? I know SB I7 2600K has much better integrated graphics already, but how much better will Ivy Bridge be? Should I be concerned that I might find out that I do need a dedicated GPU after all? What might Ivy's integrated graphics not be so good at, other than gaming?

Well, that's more than one question, but thanks oodles for helping out!
October 23, 2011 12:43:04 PM

If you're only interested in PS, I'd go with AMD BD, because u can't get better performance with Intel in this direction and it's not that expensive. But if you're an Intel fan, wait for IB and then decide.
Related resources
October 23, 2011 2:01:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. Am not a fanboy of either Intel, or AMD, though I would wish for more competition. Do a lot of back testing of trading strategies with my trading software and I do feel it requires the processing power of an 2600k, for example. But I also need a decent performing GPU...short of a gaming GPU which I really do not need.
October 23, 2011 2:03:55 PM

Thanks for the link, rolli59, appreciate it!
a c 471 à CPUs
October 23, 2011 4:24:49 PM

The current Intel HD 3000 graphic core performance is marginally better than the desktop Radeon HD 5450.

A 60% increase in performance will mean IB's graphic core performance will be about halfway between a desktop Radeon HD 5550 and Radeon HD 5570.
October 23, 2011 4:59:42 PM

Thanks, I actually have a Radeon HD 5550 card in my old Dell desktop right now and it does all that I need it to do. IB's graphic capabilities will be just right for me then. :-)
a c 471 à CPUs
October 23, 2011 6:16:33 PM

Just be aware that it is up to 60% better graphics performance. You'll need to wait until actual benchmarks are available.
October 23, 2011 6:49:12 PM

jaguarskx said:
Just be aware that it is up to 60% better graphics performance. You'll need to wait until actual benchmarks are available.

I know there's the all-important benchmarks. ;)  But if I were to buy a Ivy Bridge powered laptop next year I could do without a dedicated GPU, I'd certainly hope. A system I'd imagine using less power, producing less heat and noise - if not cheaper to the current SB laptops/notebooks.

Looking forward to it.

And, btw, how does one select "best answer"?

!