Sign in with
Your question

BSOD, POST error. Can you help find the cause?

Last response: in Memory
July 19, 2012 3:01:18 PM

I would appreciate some help determining the cause of pc BSOD's and boot failure.

My systems essentials are:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU

MSI 790GX-G65 AMD 790 Socket AM3 Motherboard

Corsair XMS3 4GB PC10666 DDR3 Dual Channel 1333MHz

ULTRA LSP650 650W ATX POWER SUPPLY

Symptoms (from the past week) include BSOD/Reboots during 3d games. One time the BSOD was actually PINK. BSOD text includes "Unrecoverable Hardware Error". System would not post, until toggle switch used on power supply; wait 5 seonds before flipping toggle switch back; then the system posted.

The CPU is modestly overclocked to about 3.6 Mhz. Prime 95 is stable for about 1 hour. Memtest was run overnight with a total of 6 passes, showing 10 errors on pass #4. I assume that all 4 (2-gig) sticks were tested.

Any guidance is great!

Robert

More about : bsod post error find

July 19, 2012 3:23:57 PM

If you put the proc at it's stock speed, do you still have issues...? I doubt it. SO, the reason is probably your overclock, it's unstable at that speed and need to bump it down.

That's my opinion.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 19, 2012 3:25:10 PM

Why don´t you try entering the Bios at the start up, then dismantle your OC to see if it post.
m
l
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
July 19, 2012 3:25:45 PM

Well IF the BSOD/RSOD goes away with you loading Defaults in the BIOS then you have a bad CPU OC.

Otherwise if the PC is stable most of the time then raise the vCore +0.02v~+0.05v and raise the DRAM Voltage +0.05v (e.g. 1.55v). Then stress & memtest test again.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 19, 2012 3:39:52 PM

trainingwheels said:
Memtest was run overnight with a total of 6 passes, showing 10 errors on pass #4. I assume that all 4 (2-gig) sticks were tested.

Are you saying you have 10 errors on test 4? You hay have 1 bad stick. You can test each stick by it self(overnight). to see if one is always failing while others pass. I know its long, but sometimes worth it.

Can you link us to the exact memory you have, Some memory needs a bit more voltage and sometimes you have to manually set the timing(but in general SPD takes care of this for 1.5 volt settings, still worth looking).

4 Sticks as said above some times needs a bit more voltage as well(My Q6600 system needed a little boost to get 4 sticks working stable[24h prime95 or bust.]).
m
l
July 19, 2012 8:46:36 PM

nukemaster said:
Are you saying you have 10 errors on test 4? You hay have 1 bad stick. You can test each stick by it self(overnight). to see if one is always failing while others pass. I know its long, but sometimes worth it.

Can you link us to the exact memory you have, Some memory needs a bit more voltage and sometimes you have to manually set the timing(but in general SPD takes care of this for 1.5 volt settings, still worth looking).

4 Sticks as said above some times needs a bit more voltage as well(My Q6600 system needed a little boost to get 4 sticks working stable[24h prime95 or bust.]).

Here's a link to my memory:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
July 19, 2012 10:23:20 PM

Any DDR3-1333 is plug and play including the Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9AG.

Now IF you're increasing the FSB to OC then ditto you're OC'ing the RAM, so try a slower speed. It's best to use a CPU Multiplier with a BE AMD or any unlocked CPU.

You can raise the DRAM Voltage by +0.05v and CPU-NB Voltage by +0.05v.
m
l
!