Sign in with
Your question

570+physx card or sli 560ti's?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2011 12:20:54 PM

hey all, ive got a fairly confusing question.

im weighing up my choices right now for my gpu's for a sandybridge build. the motherboard will be a gigabyte z68 ud4 mainboard. at the minuet im looking at either two gtx560 ti's in sli, or a single gtx 570 with something like an old gtx450 for physX

i guess my question is what will get me better performance?

resolution will be 1080P

im going to start with one 22" monitor but may well add two more in the next few years, would it then perhaps be a better move to get the 570 for now with the idea of dropping in a second one for the surround in a couple of years time? or perhaps going with the 560ti's to begin with?

for the psu im going to get an 900w corsair so it should handle three gpus with a stock 2600k i think

look forward to your opinions and advice!
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 1:50:19 PM

gtx 570 sli, forget physx it is worthless to pursue, yeah the webs in batman aa look cool but that is practically the only game that I play that uses it, im over metro
May 19, 2011 3:35:14 PM

do you not think itll be implemented heavily with time? or do you think its been left behind as a gimmic? ive got around 00 to spend on gpus for the initial build
Related resources
May 19, 2011 3:35:22 PM

300*
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 3:42:57 PM

jjb8675309 said:
gtx 570 sli, forget physx it is worthless to pursue, yeah the webs in batman aa look cool but that is practically the only game that I play that uses it, im over metro

Metro 2033's use of physX is pretty much undetectable. I've ran through the benchmark and in game with and with it off and I can't see a difference. Looking at the settings in the benchmark on other features between higher and lower quality, I'd would point towards the difference of using pre-calculated routines vs calculating them on the spot. It also takes a pretty large performance hit.

I wouldn't consider Metro 2033 worth getting it for either and your 570 can handle Batman AA without a dedicated card.

Most cases where PhysX may be useful, a single 570 should handle both rendering and physX.

Now if you want to spend the money regardless, then I'd go for 560ti's in SLI over a single 570. The 560ti's are close to the performance on their own and would be a lot more powerful as a pair.
May 19, 2011 3:53:36 PM

so you think it'll be worthwhile? im considering changing the screen to a larger 27" panel, still 1080p then adding two in vertical configuration instead, whats your opinion? and also for the price of two 560 ti's i can get a 580? theres so much to choose from!
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 4:01:36 PM

I don't consider the 580 a real choice, because it's overpriced for the performance increase. At 1080p, most people would find a single 570 plenty of power.

If you like everything maxed and AA on, then two 560ti's may be for you.

If you like everything maxed and AA on most games, but are ok with turning down settings on a few cutting edge games, then a 570 is for you.
May 19, 2011 4:02:57 PM

ok thanks
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 4:20:19 PM

yeah honestly my single 570 is great at 1080p, but I agree that a pair of 560tis are a good choice, or even a pair of gtx 460 1 gigs for that matter if you can find a good deal
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 4:20:40 PM

580 will still be slower than a pair of 560Tis in SLI. I'd take 560Ti SLi over 570SLI or 580, because it will be quieter, cooler and require less power, but slower (than 570SLI). Maybe take a look @ 6950 CF, they perform more or less the same as 570 SLi and cost more or less the same as 560Ti SLi.
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 4:21:11 PM

has anyone heard how you can run sli on an am3 board that only supports crossfire? Ive heard there is a hack, sorry not to hijack the thread but I was just wandering
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 4:23:03 PM

i've heard something like that, but i can't say it's true.
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 4:25:22 PM

Ive heard Nforcemax talking about it, I just asked him
May 23, 2011 7:30:39 AM

ive had a good look around and found a HD 6950 for the same price as the gtx 560 ti. in reviews ive heard it runs a lot hotter than the nVidia cards, how is it in actual use?
plus looking at the 2GB buffer, having two of them will really help push pixels if i do add the two displays for three screen set up I think.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 1:55:10 PM

yeah to a small degree but are you really going to be adding two more displays? its not exactly cheap.

For multi display go with the AMD card because for nvidia triple monitor setups you need two cards...

With just one 1080p monitor, the 2gig frame buffer will not help you at all over the 1 gig models
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 2:38:29 PM

I would shell out the extra cash for a gtx 570 and consider sli or dedicated physx later on. A maxed out gtx 560 ti performs the same as a stock gtx 570 any way and uses nearly the same power at those clocks (1ghz~). As for dedicated physx one has to know what they are doing and what card they are aiming for the job. To low end and it will hinder performance and to high end it is a complete waste. I found that the G92 was best fit for the job while a GT240 was second place. The GTX570 on it's own in most physx enabled games it won't need a dedicated card when overclocking from a stock card is more viable unless physx is taking up a large portion of the card's performance. The cap is around 47% that is defined by driver or so that I have observed. If physx is taking just to much performance for your taste then consider a dedicated card. For the time a G92 is more than enough for current games but in the future if physx is still around it will likely be more demanding.

GTX570 hands down.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 3:12:14 PM

^ agreed and i got mine for around 300 AR I have been very happy gaming at 1080p ever since
May 23, 2011 3:37:43 PM

G92? and also what about the fact that i could flash the 6950 to a 6970 which actually out performs the 570? as for the physx, if i went the amd route id drop it completely, leave a cpu core to do it (its going to be chucked in with a i7 2600k so i mean even in heavily threaded games therell easily be 4 threads left idle..
as for the secondary screens, ill ad them on in probably around 6 months time. possibly a year depending on budgeting
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 4:00:21 PM

esaglik said:
G92? and also what about the fact that i could flash the 6950 to a 6970 which actually out performs the 570? as for the physx, if i went the amd route id drop it completely, leave a cpu core to do it (its going to be chucked in with a i7 2600k so i mean even in heavily threaded games therell easily be 4 threads left idle..
as for the secondary screens, ill ad them on in probably around 6 months time. possibly a year depending on budgeting

How did you reach your rank when you don't know what a G92 is? G92 is basically 8800gs/gt/gts 9800gt/gtx/gtx+/gx2 9600gso and gts 240 as well gts250. That is excluding what was sold for the professional market. There is no cpu out there that can truly handle physx without hindering overall performance. It is not all about threads but actual performance and computing power. HT (hyper threading) is meant to make use of unused resources with in the pipe line stages with in the cpu cores to improve productivity in multi threaded applications but doe not make very much of a tangible improvement in games. As for the 6950/70 routine that is up to the op.

Personally I am getting sick of people who try to be complete fan boys/girls who act like AMD cpus and Nvidia don't exist except for the dark corners of forgotten IT. Fap Fap to overpriced intel cpu with overpriced boards. :pfff: 
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 5:06:29 PM

^lol agreed :lol: 
May 23, 2011 5:07:58 PM

dont get me wrong for the past fortnight ive been leaning towards nvidia, and as for intel / amd, intel just outperforms amd for the same pricepoint hands down.
May 23, 2011 5:09:01 PM

and i did come across those cards when reading up on physx gpus but id not noticed that abreviation before. ive only been following technology for the past year or so.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 5:13:10 PM

esaglik said:
dont get me wrong for the past fortnight ive been leaning towards nvidia, and as for intel / amd, intel just outperforms amd for the same pricepoint hands down.

depends on which cpus with what clocks you are referring to but for the most part your statement is ambiguous and wrong maybe you should follow technology for a little more than 1 year before you make such a bold statement, what two cpus with what clocks are you comparing and in what game, you see its all relative
May 23, 2011 5:16:49 PM

i suppose it is all relative. I dont think i said what i meant to say right, i meant in terms of maximum performance possible.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 5:20:00 PM

ehh yeah but for games there is a point that if you go beyond it there are very diminishing returns and so the value that you speak of also dissipates. Intel has the fastest current mainstream cpus available but both companies offer a good value at certain price points, hopefully that puts things in a better perspective for you
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 5:25:24 PM

to answer your original question however without any further debate, you should get the gtx 570 and if you had to pull the trigger now id get this one, hope this helps, I have one and i am nothing but satisfied.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this is the same one I have and its on sale for 300 After Rebate, not a bad deal

this next one is an msi board that has a nice factory oc on it and is a similar price to the PNY listed above:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

your choice, make sure you have a good psu, buy one gtx 570 now and then another down the road when they are cheap for sli
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 6:03:50 PM

Quote:

Lol, Intel wins the high-end CPU market (by far), but in low-end/mid-range AMD has better value.

Btw, highly clocked 560Tis consume more power than 570s and bring you less performance(1Ghz and higher) and it might consume around 100W more than 6950 (load)! 6950 is around 10% (avg. not counting AMD/nVidia favoring games) faster than GTX560Ti at stock, which only reaches the same level @ 925-950 core, and you can unlock shaders, which will be safer than flashing, that will bring you even more performance, but it does not have Physx. On multiple screens 2GB will be useful, but if you decide not to add another screen(s) then it's pointless. 6950 is not a lot hotter than 560Ti, but it mostly depends on model (for example some bad HIS model is of course a lot hotter than MSI Twin Frozr III etc.).
a c 607 U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 6:24:36 PM

What PhysX games do you intend to play with your new setup? If you do have some in mind, and if you think that games made with the new Unreal Engine are going to bring a few more PhysX titles (Batman: Arkham City), then a single GTX 570 is all you need. The point is, if you actually do play, or intend to play PhysX games, then there is no question you want to get a Nvidia card.

That PNY GTX 570 JJ listed above at $300 after rebate w/ free HDMI cable and lifetime warranty is a great deal for a card that's only bested by the GTX 580 costing $200 more.
May 23, 2011 6:52:15 PM

thanks for all the advice everyone, i think im going to go with a single 570 then as reccomended drop in a second one when they get cheaper, thanks for the help everyone!
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 8:56:11 PM

17seconds said:
What PhysX games do you intend to play with your new setup? If you do have some in mind, and if you think that games made with the new Unreal Engine are going to bring a few more PhysX titles (Batman: Arkham City), then a single GTX 570 is all you need. The point is, if you actually do play, or intend to play PhysX games, then there is no question you want to get a Nvidia card.

That PNY GTX 570 JJ listed above at $300 after rebate w/ free HDMI cable and lifetime warranty is a great deal for a card that's only bested by the GTX 580 costing $200 more.

Batman AA runs fine with physx set to normal on my rig with just a gtx 570, I think the PNY model is a good buy, its a reference model but stays cool and quiet even when the fan is ramped up, really one of the most pain free experiences Ive ever had with a modern gpu to date.

OP: you can take a look at my rig below and see which cpu and gpu I run, overall my system is value oriented right now but with my 955 oc'ed and a gtx 570 I got a rockin little gaming rig, if I had a 2500k it would be better obviously but the difference in most games would be hard to quantify and therefore it is hard to upgrade in my position, I'd like to but I don't think it is worth it at this point, I hope this puts things into perspective
May 23, 2011 9:10:54 PM

ive just finished the configuration, and what a crazy coincidence! the price of the sandybridge rig comes to 1155 pounds! haha :) 
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 9:12:11 PM

well it should be darn powerful, have fun
a c 607 U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 9:20:42 PM

jjb8675309 said:
Batman AA runs fine with physx set to normal on my rig with just a gtx 570, I think the PNY model is a good buy, its a reference model but stays cool and quiet even when the fan is ramped up, really one of the most pain free experiences Ive ever had with a modern gpu to date.

OP: you can take a look at my rig below and see which cpu and gpu I run, overall my system is value oriented right now but with my 955 oc'ed and a gtx 570 I got a rockin little gaming rig, if I had a 2500k it would be better obviously but the difference in most games would be hard to quantify and therefore it is hard to upgrade in my position, I'd like to but I don't think it is worth it at this point, I hope this puts things into perspective

The more I research the reference cooling on the GTX 570/580, the more I realize that those vapor chambers are pretty good designs. The fact that they vent all the exhaust heat outside the case actually makes a pretty big difference in the overall internal case temperatures. If you ever go SLI, then the reference design is real good at reducing overall temperatures and noise.
http://www.behardware.com/articles/747-35/report-graphi...
http://www.behardware.com/articles/747-36/report-graphi...
May 23, 2011 9:20:51 PM

You'd hope so! Last system I bought was my current laptop, that was 800 for a core two duo 2ghz and some terrible nvidia 256mb gpu, but heck it's lasted me 6 years! :) 
!