Laptop backpack advice needed

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2005 2:43:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi folks,
Hope this is the correct group for this query - apologies if it's not.

I'm looking for a backpack for a 15" laptop that is big enough to be
used as a university bag as well. Ideally I'd want it to be waterproof
rather than just showerproof. Shortlist at the moment is:
Targus XL Backpack
Dicota BackPac Rain
Toshiba BackPack Pro

The Toshiba Pro looks huge (which is good) but I can't find any info on
its weatherproof-ness. The other 2 have integral rain covers but are
smaller, but may be "big enough". Can anyone comment on their day-to-day
practical usefulness?
Thanks for reading.
John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2005 2:43:08 PM

JKO <newsgroups@orrbit.co.uk> writes:
> I'm looking for a backpack for a 15" laptop that is big enough to be
> used as a university bag as well. Ideally I'd want it to be waterproof
> rather than just showerproof. Shortlist at the moment is:
> Targus XL Backpack
> Dicota BackPac Rain
> Toshiba BackPack Pro

Alternative suggestion: Don't get a laptop backpack.

Get an internal backpack that is hydration compatible and a padded sleeve for
the laptop.

The hydration system frequently goes into an unpadded sleeve right against the
back. A laptop sleeve will be needed for padding.

You will have a proper suspension system and the backpack does not look
like a laptop backpack.

The backpack is built to be in the woods where it rains.

I use a Kelty Redwing which can also double as a carryon luggage at
the airport.

Conway Yee
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2005 2:43:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

If you decide to consider a shoulder bag instead of a backpack, I
recommend the Eagle Creek Data Tranfer. I have one, it is an excellent
bag.

Eagle Creek also sells a computer backpack. I recommend that you check
it out. I have found that all Eagle Creek gear is top notch.

-Jonathan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2005 6:49:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Be careful. Putting books and a laptop in the same backpack is an
invitation to cracking the screen if you set it down wrong and quickly.

!