Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Battery life question

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 1:22:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have a Sony F707. I have taken some just short of 8000 pictures with
it and I have been pretty reasonable about turning off the camera (and
I don't do much flash work, I don't like the flash). Anyway, the
batter that came with the camera and the after market I bought at the
same time have stopped taking a charge. Is this a reasonable life
span? I ask because I also just lost the charger and bought one of
those small after market chargers. That device works well with the
newer battery I bought, but not with the old ones. Is it the charger
or the batteries? My only thought is to go to a camera store and see
if they have a charger that connects to the camera so I can test that.


--
Matt Silberstein

Will you hold me sacred?
Will you hold me tight?
Can you colorize my life I'm so sick of black and white?
Can you make it all a little less old?

_I would do anything for love_ by Jim Steinman

More about : battery life question

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 4:04:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Matt Silberstein wrote:
> I have a Sony F707. I have taken some just short of 8000 pictures with
> it and I have been pretty reasonable about turning off the camera (and
> I don't do much flash work, I don't like the flash). Anyway, the
> batter that came with the camera and the after market I bought at the
> same time have stopped taking a charge. Is this a reasonable life
> span?

I would say that 4,000 images is not a bad life for a battery. Cost per
image was what? ;-)

> I ask because I also just lost the charger and bought one of
> those small after market chargers. That device works well with the
> newer battery I bought, but not with the old ones. Is it the charger
> or the batteries? My only thought is to go to a camera store and see
> if they have a charger that connects to the camera so I can test that.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 4:52:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>I have a Sony F707. I have taken some just short of 8000 pictures with
>it and I have been pretty reasonable about turning off the camera (and
>I don't do much flash work, I don't like the flash). Anyway, the
>batter that came with the camera and the after market I bought at the
>same time have stopped taking a charge. Is this a reasonable life
>span?

How old are the batteries? LiIon batteries are often said to have a
useful life of about 2 years, even if you don't use them much during
that period.

Dave
Related resources
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:18:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:04:04 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , "Joseph
Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> in
<8Op_d.3190$h22.122@fe1.columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>Matt Silberstein wrote:
>> I have a Sony F707. I have taken some just short of 8000 pictures with
>> it and I have been pretty reasonable about turning off the camera (and
>> I don't do much flash work, I don't like the flash). Anyway, the
>> batter that came with the camera and the after market I bought at the
>> same time have stopped taking a charge. Is this a reasonable life
>> span?
>
> I would say that 4,000 images is not a bad life for a battery. Cost per
>image was what? ;-)

Cost isn't the issue, if they are old, they are old. I guess I was
not as clear as I could have been. I could not tell if the issue was
the batteries or the charger. I will assume it is the batteries.

>> I ask because I also just lost the charger and bought one of
>> those small after market chargers. That device works well with the
>> newer battery I bought, but not with the old ones. Is it the charger
>> or the batteries? My only thought is to go to a camera store and see
>> if they have a charger that connects to the camera so I can test that.

--
Matt Silberstein

Will you hold me sacred?
Will you hold me tight?
Can you colorize my life I'm so sick of black and white?
Can you make it all a little less old?

_I would do anything for love_ by Jim Steinman
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:19:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:52:52 +0000 (UTC), in rec.photo.digital ,
davem@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) in <d1dc9k$p0k$1@mughi.cs.ubc.ca>
wrote:

>Matt Silberstein <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>>I have a Sony F707. I have taken some just short of 8000 pictures with
>>it and I have been pretty reasonable about turning off the camera (and
>>I don't do much flash work, I don't like the flash). Anyway, the
>>batter that came with the camera and the after market I bought at the
>>same time have stopped taking a charge. Is this a reasonable life
>>span?
>
>How old are the batteries? LiIon batteries are often said to have a
>useful life of about 2 years, even if you don't use them much during
>that period.

If so I have done pretty well then. I have had these three years.


--
Matt Silberstein

Will you hold me sacred?
Will you hold me tight?
Can you colorize my life I'm so sick of black and white?
Can you make it all a little less old?

_I would do anything for love_ by Jim Steinman
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 6:17:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>I have a Sony F707. I have taken some just short of 8000 pictures with
>it and I have been pretty reasonable about turning off the camera (and
>I don't do much flash work, I don't like the flash). Anyway, the
>batter that came with the camera and the after market I bought at the
>same time have stopped taking a charge. Is this a reasonable life
>span? I ask because I also just lost the charger and bought one of

Battery life depends on many, many factors, including the number of
recharge cycles, the operating temperature of the battery, the degree
to which the battery is regularly discharged, and the way it which it
is recharged. The number of pictures you've taken with the battery
doesn't have much to do with whether the battery should still be
working. (I don't know what kind of battery the F707 uses, but,
unfortunately, keeping the battery mostly full may actually reduce the
battery life.)

-Joel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
!